Featured CAN YOU GUESS THE CENTURY OR STYLE?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Irenka, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    it's me again :) We restored this beautiful desk that I think was first made for the church? After World War II. - I asume it - they moved it to the municipality. I mean that, because of the label on the door - you see it in the pictures, but it’s in my language. We bought this desk in Slovenia, where we have most influences from Austria, where i think the desk was made..It was never veneered and it is from spruce. It has many spilts of tint, which make sense because it is antique writing desk.. But i ask you all, which century or which style this desk belong to? Any Thought will be appreciate.Thank you! desnoodstrani (Small).jpg DSC_6899 (Small).JPG levoodstrani2ZGRADIENTOM (Small).jpg odprta (Small).jpg odzgoraj (Small).jpg levoodstrani2ZGRADIENTOM (Small).jpg pisalnamizazgradientom2 (Small).jpg DSC_6878 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    elarnia, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Irenka. I would say late 19th century, but I'll tag @Ghopper1924 for you.

It is not a church related piece as such, although it could have been used by the priest in his study, for instance.

kyratango, judy, Irenka and 1 other person like this.
  3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Thank you AJ, it was a long work on this one I must said but it was worthed on the end!

Maybe i am thinking church only because of the stickers but i have churchy vibe around it :D

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It is also that historic style, which is seen a lot in churches and monasteries, at least around here in the Netherlands.
    I know Slovenian churches look much like Austrian ones, so I imagine they have similar furniture.

judy and Irenka like this.
  5. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, that is because we were a long time part of Austro-Hungarian Empire.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Irenka:
    A most sumptuous piece. Agree with AJ on time period, and would narrow it down to ca. 1885 as it exhibits Renaissance Revival style for the most part with some Eastlake in the gallery.
    After reading your comments I must ask: Did you refinish the desk?

7. Any Jewelry

Irenka found it in Slovenia. We don't have Eastlake in Europe.;)

8. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes we did refinsh the desk. It was in two pieces when we got it and it had many problems, but i think we did it justice and restore it to a former glory..i hope so.:)

judy, Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Great find, Irenka! Don't get too see much Central or Eastern European period furniture that is actually in Eastern Europe, so thanks for sharing. Please do show us your future finds.

11. Any Jewelry

The style is pretty generic of the period though. It could have been made anywhere in the European influenced world.

Irenka, Fern77 and kyratango like this.
  12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly, but this we know is there and most likely local-ish.

Irenka likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted