Can you help identify this piece of stunning asian pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lofty89, May 18, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Japanese
    recent
    $ 40......more or less depending on size...condition....where u r located...how you intend to sell it .....& how long you wish to hang on to it !

There............happy now ? :happy:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As for expectations:
    I don't expect gratitude for giving you the bit of information I could, and thereby answering at least three (3) of your questions. But I certainly don't expect abuse.

gregsglass, Kronos and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Lofty, would you like a nice cup of chamomile tea? Even professionals who get PAID for their opinions have moments of jocularity. And if this is what you consider a "debacle," I sincerely hope you are only 14!

Signed,

A Woman of a Certain Age

gregsglass and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Again, this is a FREE forum for all to use. If you want "professionalism", go pay for a proper evaluation of your items from any number of experts in the field of pottery.

You've actually received some useful information about your item and you haven't even bothered to acknowledge it. Show us some of that professionalism, and not more of the swearing and accusation throwing.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Okay your vase is very recent and not worth the $9.99 that you probably paid.
    greg

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

There is a group on facebook that might also be able to help. It's entitled "Collecting Japanese Ceramics and Arts".
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/collectingjapaneseceramics/?fref=nf
    They may be able to help in translating the mark.

I do agree that it appears recent but it is a step above what you usually see. Still it is a mass produced item as opposed to being produced in limited quantities in a workshop. I believe it's value is going to be primarily decorative and as such will be limited to whatever someone is willing to pay for a nice flower vase.

Just for the record, I look at all posts as I'm a pretty nosy and curious little person also of a certain age.
    Don

7. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

And a very nice one you are!

8. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

OP is, in my view, an ungrateful brat who has stormed into a room full of people he has never met and then insulted them.

We don't get paid for giving opinions and advice here. Many of us know a great deal about Stuff. If OP wants advice sans digression, he'd better pay the three figure hourly rate I charge.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you have presumed too much.
    We are a combination of dealers, collectors, new to the field, all of us learners as there is just too much to know.
    We do have a vast amount of collective knowledge. Whether it is correct is up to the questioner to confirm.

Calling names and pointing fingers either from the person asking the question or the people answering does not help this board in any way.

Let's move on, please.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  11. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

I have 'stormed' into nowhere and insult nobody. I asked a reasonable question and was met with sarcasm and hostility, if you can dish it out be prepared to take it.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You are very kind. Thank you.
    Don

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So far five people have answered your questions regarding your contemporary Japanese vase.
    Four people have given you advice on rephrasing the title so it will attract the right, knowledgeable people.
    You have not thanked anyone for their help, which is the reason why Obb called you ungrateful.
    And you chose to rephrase the title in a way that was once again misleading. I refer of course to the word 'stunning'.

I looked at this thread because of that last misleading title.
    Misleading, because it states that it concerns a stunning piece of Asian pottery, which it clearly is not, and you knew that.
    And misleading because the use of the word stunning for a nice but mundane vase suggested that you have a sense of humour.
    I reacted to the questions regarding the Asian pottery by giving you most of the information you asked for.
    And I reacted to the suggestion of a sense of humour with a light-hearted comment which included an emoji.

You chose to ignore my answers and went on with cynicism and abuse, again either ignoring or attacking anyone else who took the time to give advice.
    You can choose to react to this summary with more negativity, up to you. But I am sure anyone else reading this will agree with me.

14. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

have you nothing better to do than carry on with this charade? The actual question was answered yesterday. Why carry it on?

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Because the rest of us actually get on and like chatting to each other.

I'd get back under your bridge if I were you.

16. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

If you truly want to know why Any Jewelry was "Carrying it on" :rolleyes: it was because you had made an accusation of being met with sarcasm and hostility and may I add that this was said after you had already received all the information you had requested. If you want to put this behind everything you could at least show some respect to the people who have answered your questions. I hope you realize even if you didn't intend to you did cause offense. If this forum in your opion truly resembles the YouTube comment section the one distinction I will make is We don't insult, disrespect, or take for granted people spending hours a day to help people out.

17. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

Continue proving my point of being met with hostility and sarcasm, you're doing a grand job. Love the fact this thread has not been touched by a moderator or admin...

18. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

Oh are you still commenting?

19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

At this point I think silence is the best option. Exiting stage right...
    Don

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  20. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

It's looking like this is just typical troll account behavior. Ignoring most of the replies and only going for certain points to keep things inflamed.

Was kinda hoping to see some of that Professionalism from OP that he was demanding from others. Oh well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted