Featured Can you help with the marks on this whatchamacallit?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by sassafras, Jul 7, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Hi all! I'm doing an inventory of the contents of a family member's home and am coming across some unusual things that I'm not quite sure how to categorize. Thought I'd better ask the board for some help with this one. I'm having a hard time with this odd little nugget.

Can anyone help with the markings? I'm not even sure if it's sterling, SP, or a combination.

I'm calling it a presentation piece rather than the chicken-legged, golf club, guy on the horn title that my son suggested. :) Does something like this have a proper name?

Thanks for taking the time to look!

DSCN5072_24055.JPG DSCN5077_24060.JPG DSCN5079_24062.JPG

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

EPNS is electro plated nickel silver. I'um sure others will chime in...I'd probably just call it a trophy.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That last picture seems to have a British silverplate maker's mark. but is too small to see all the letters accurately. Any chance of a better look?

kyratango, Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Unless James (somebody or other) gave the piece to the Great Yarmouth Golf Club so the club could use it as a trophy, I'm not sure that trophy really applies.

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Good call...my mind automatically read the inscription as the golf club having presented the piece to James not the other way around. So maybe not a trophy.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the top flips open............... it's a table snuff mull.

7. Bakersgma

The top of the horn where golfer is? I can't tell. @sassafras Does any part open?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. sassafras

That's the only picture of the mark I have right now, but I can get a better one when I go to the house next time.

The top does open.

kyratango likes this.
  9. sassafras

It gets even better...there are golf balls that sit on the corners! DSCN5081_24064.JPG

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. sassafras

I had never heard of a table snuff mull. Had to look that one up. How interesting!

kyratango likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi....if you can get a CRISP, CLOSE-UP of the circled marks, we can give you better information....they're just too small to try and enlarge clearly!! Thanks!!!

DSCN5079_24062.JPG

i need help and kyratango like this.
  12. sassafras

Will do. I'll try to get over there tomorrow.

kyratango likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Golf originated in Scotland. Royal and Ancient St Andrews and all that. Mulls are based on horn shapes, because that's what they were made of originally.

This is a nice thing: normally, silver plate isn't of much worth, but a good golf related mull, even from a minor club, has some value.

You could always contact them - http://www.club-noticeboard.co.uk/greatyarmouth/

15. sassafras

Very cool, bear! Thank you. I'll get in touch with them. At the very least they might like to hear where it is now residing. :)

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum. :happy::happy::happy:

Let us know what they say if you get a reply.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Do please let us know if they tell you anything, it would be really interesting.

i need help likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They may want it back …. Who knows under what circumstances this left their establishment.

i need help likes this.
  19. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Sass and welcome from Australia.

i need help likes this.
  20. sassafras

Thank you , AuDragon.

I'm going to try to get back to the house this afternoon and will post some new pics of the marks as soon as I get them. Really appreciate all of the help so far!

Draft saved Draft deleted