Featured Can you help with these two bracelets?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

DSCN1425.JPG DSCN1426.JPG DSCN1433.JPG DSCN1444 (2).JPG DSCN1445 (2).JPG DSCN1446.JPG DSCN1447.JPG DSCN1442 (2).JPG DSCN1443 (2).JPG DSCN1425.JPG The first one I think is really an Art Deco piece that someone has put a jump ring clasp on. But it could just be Art Deco style and the clasp which has a .925 mark on is original. It belonged to my stepmother who passed away a decade ago. The top and bottom of each panel has an embossed design that I didn't get a good picture of. I included pictures of the end panels straight on, in case that will help to determine if it has been modified. If it really is Art Deco, where would it have been made?

The second one, I have no clue on age or country it was made in. It brightens up beautifully with a sunshine cloth. The clasp is odd, it's like the type used on key rings and the like.

All opinions and information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 345705
    DSCN1425.JPG DSCN1426.JPG

stracci, cxgirl, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could you tell us the color of the 'stones' in the first one. Hard to tell from the pix. That one looks genuine deco with a makeshift closure.

cxgirl and KSW like this.
  3. Lizzie

The center stone and the two on either side are green, the two further ones are clear and the last two on either end are green.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the top bracelet originally had a box clasp.

5. Lizzie

Hollyblue, that's what I thought but wanted to run it by the experts here.

cxgirl, KSW, uriema40 and 1 other person like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Both are lovely!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

The first one - filigree - is definitely modified art deco. These two photos show a costume bracelet and a Miss Liberty bulova watch both in the same style and from the same period. These can be made in various metals so you will want to have it tested, especially if it is hallmarked.

The second piece looks to be more modern and is probably sterling. I've seen similar pieces called 20's all the way to "modern" bits made today. About the only thing I could call it would be "vintage" though I get 1950's vibes because everything seemed to be coming up dogwoods back then....lol

20210818_160232.jpg 20210818_160306.jpg

cxgirl, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those both look 30s to me. Some of those filigree bracelets are from Mexico, I have one.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first one is straight up 1920s American. They were incredibly popular and sold all over the place, but most were made in Providence RI or North Attleboro MA just over the border. Metals were costume, and I've seen platinum and white gold. There might be some sterling ones about, but this one looks costume. There may have been a signature on the clasp, but maybe not. It had a box/invisible clasp originally, but that probably died and someone added the spring ring to make it wearable.

The second bracelet looks silver. Beyond that dunno.

10. Lizzie

Mexico is a good possibility, I think I had a similar one that was marked Mexico. Neither of the pieces are marked except on the jump ring of the filigree bracelet. They both polish up well. Where do you think the second one is from? It's very light weight.

My thanks to everyone for weighing in.

11. Lizzie

Evelynb30, you must have posted as I was posting. Thank you. So American it is.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I need to fish out the one I bought in SC many years back and start a thread on it. Stone is a sapphire, and it has a rather good foldover slide type clasp.

My head thinks the second is European.

13. evelyb30

That sounds about right. I have my grandmother's here, costume naturally, and I think it has that sort of clasp on it. She was one of 11 kids; they were too broke for the good stuff.

14. Lizzie

I'd like to see yours Ownedbybear. I should probably have mine tested.

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The top bracelet is nearly impossible to date with out a maker's mark.People still make them with the original 100+ year old dies.see link.

https://hugokohl.com/unearth-the-story/

Bronwen likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Those filigree pieces are one of the things I hoard. (LOL) When looking at the jewelry the rhodium plating color can make a difference, and the length of the bracelet. Dunno about the real ones.

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I have one similar to your first one, here is the clasp on mine:)
    DSCF7425.jpeg DSCF7480.jpeg DSCF7468.jpeg

Figtree3, stracci, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  19. Lizzie

It's beautiful cxgirl. I suspect the one I have originally had a similar clasp. My stepmother must have valued the bracelet to have had it repaired.

Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted