Can you help

Discussion in 'Art' started by Rexeo, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

The attached picture/painting has been in our family from at least the 1950's (I have known it all my life). My mother always said it came from the top of a chocolate box. Having done research on line I am not sure - she is not around to ask anymore.
    In trying to find out the chickens illustrated in the picture I came across a framed print exactly the same. The signature which appears on this picture is also attached. I do not have a picture of the back of our painting or a signature. The picture posted is the only ones I have.
    Is anyone able to identify who the artist is, the year it was painted approx, and did this picture come from a chocolate box as my mother has said?

Attached Files:

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Your picture looks like a print under plastic, framed in cardboard.

What country are you in?

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Chocolate boxes did once feature fancier artwork than nowadays. Could be older than 1950s.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some metal boxes and the cardboard ones later did have really fancy lids. I'd be more inclined to believe a box lid than inherited $$$ artwork. Odd are better of the box lid.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Looks like it could be an illustration for an Easter candy box - Edwardian maybe.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

I am in Australia - sorry for the delay in replying I only just saw your post. My mother had the picture in an oval frame whilst I was young. She then used the oval frame for another picture and created a new frame from cardboard with plastic as you can see on the picture. Not a good look, but the picture belonged to her at this point.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

Hi, this link is only picture I could find which almost matches ours which was attached in my original thread. Since posting this thread I have confirmed it is a lithograph and could have been printed by Dominion Can Coy Pty Ltd. Dominion printed lots of these prints which were 35cm length x 25cm wide. An example of one of these pictures is attached.

Attached Files:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

Thats what I was wondering. Would you have any idea where I would go to next to continue my search

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Did you follow the link Roaring20s provided? You can see what there is of a signature & the inscription on the back dates it to 1952 or a bit earlier. There may not be a painting hanging in a museum that is the original of this. It may always have been commercial art.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted