Can you i.d. this pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elaine Lachterman, May 25, 2022.

1. Elaine Lachterman

Elaine Lachterman New Member

IMG_6755dada-min.JPG Hi, could you identify this pottery? Is it old or new? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
    Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Elaine...could you share a little more about the piece?

A few more pics would be helpful, as well as dimensions, how & where acquired, etc.

Thanks for showing this...and welcome!

judy, Born2it and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I agree we could use more pictures, inc the bottom. Looks like it's in a store.

At first glance, it does not appear to me to be characteristic of any specific pottery tradition.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it is new...in my opinion

judy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Provencal French, and I can't recall the maker. They use Lascaux cave painting images.

Figtree3, Potteryplease and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice. Where in the world are you, or did you find it, Elaine?
    There used to be several studios in and around Montignac, Dordogne, where Lascaux inspired pottery was made. There probably still are.

The legs look a bit on the heavy side for Lascaux style, imo. Maybe this was inspired by other pre-historic cave/rock art? There are many sites dotted around Europe and North Africa.

Could even be inspired by another culture or region altogether, although the type of intentionally rough ceramic looks like that of some Montignac studios.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Potteryplease and judy like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

My geography head has gone to sleep. I was thinking of someone like Cerabel Sarlat or one of those potters, and shifted them to Provence. So yes to Montignac or thereabouts.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Next door, not much of a culture shock, I think.:playful:

9. Ownedbybear

True! And they'd be able to slurp vin gris.

Silverthorne and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted