Can you tell if jewelry is gold by the scale readings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ulilwitch, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I have two items which people question if they are really gold. I have not put these up for sale because of that reason. My sister brought over her scale. Can you tell by the readings on a scale if they are gold?. Now I will tell you the readings just in case you can. Sorry do not know anything about gold jewelry. One person asked me if they were magnetic, just found a good magnet and no, the chain is not. Only the ends of the bracelet are magnetic.

Chain readings: 37.4 g, 1.320 oz, 1.200ozt, 24.0 dwt, 187.0 ct, 578 gn, 3.21 tl.
    Markings 14k Italy. The other end is marked 14k. w-3/4 cm L-24" gold chain1.png
    Bracelet: The ends of the bracelet are marked 925 & made in Italy so I am not questioning this one but will give the readings anyway because the ends are magnetic but the bracelet section is not.

Bracelet readings: 18.1 g, 0.640 oz, 0.580 ozt, 11.6 dwt. 90.5 ct, 280 gn, 1.55tl

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Weight alone does not tell anything. Specific gravity will give a better estimation.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

925 is a silver marking not a gold standard.

judy, Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  4. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

the only sure way is to test the items using acid or electronic if you do not believe the markings, the ends may show a magnetic attraction due to the spring in the catch.

5. ulilwitch

Thanks for the lightening fast answers. Wow!

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I would take it to a jeweler and have it tested. The bracelet is marked for silver, although that should be tested too since it sticks to a magnet. The gold necklace, from what little I can see, looks like that gold-plated stuff coming out of Korea in the 1980s. I never trust those flat snake chains; there were too many fakes.

7. ulilwitch

Thank you, I will do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted