Canadian/ Indian and Eskimo arts and crafts - the snow Goose

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Cageyone23, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Cageyone23

Cageyone23 New Member

IMG_20200115_142642.jpg IMG_20200115_142815.jpg IMG_20200115_143039.jpg IMG_20200115_144059.jpg Hi guys, I've been trying to find out some info on this piece that I was given. It's a small stone carving titled " The snow goose " It comes in a small blue box that has a white label that reads :- Canadian/ Indian and Eskimo arts and crafts.... The snow goose.... With an address of 40 elgin street, suite 15, Ottawa 4 - 232-2213.
    I can see some markings on the base of the piece but I can't make out what's engraved. From what I can see the engraving reads :- Pr L E9 - 513
    A small certificate is included that has written inside the following :- great whale river

These are photos of the descriptions above

Hope someone can help me possibly identify this piece and maybe the artist. Thanks

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just a tag to get someone that should be able to help. @komokwa

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is by Jimmy KUDLUROK (1950- )

Oh - and I think this shape are usually known as Loons?

Christmasjoy, reader, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Loons have sharper and longer beaks than this bird.

Christmasjoy, blooey and judy like this.
  5. Cageyone23

Cageyone23 New Member

Can you tell me where I can find more info on Jimmy Kudlrok, I've searched google and it generally only gives results of previous auctions by him. Cheers

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it could be a representation of.....
    The rock ptarmigan (Lagopus muta) is a medium-sized gamebird in the grouse family. It is known simply as the ptarmigan in the UK and in Canada, where it is the official bird for the territory of Nunavut, Canada, and the official game bird for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

It's a nice gift piece but finding out whom the artist is (blooey !! ) is as good as you're going to get as he's one of a number of northern artists supplementing his living by carving such items.

I always drop in on The Snow Goose when I'm in Ottawa....been doing it for 45 years..

7. Cageyone23

Cageyone23 New Member

Thank you to all, your knowledge has been very informative. I shall see if I can find any more info on the artist and this piece in particular. Cheers

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I believe he moved to Sanikiluaq. There is not much else to learn about either the artist or the sculpture. Current value is south of $50 judging by the size of the box.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Happy New Year Mark !!

Is that Belcher island stone ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Quite likely...but not necessarily

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted