Featured Can't decide if this is bakelite..

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, May 21, 2024.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what we say of course.:)

Another Dutch lesson folks: Baah-k-eh-leet, and all vowels sound short. (We don't have time for long drawn vowels, we talk too much.:hilarious:)

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I pronounce it bake a lite :)

RachelW, Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bake a lite or bake-lite. I hear both and tend to use the latter.

RachelW and komokwa like this.
  5. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

I’ve never been steered wrong by a tube of simichrome.

though, I suppose I wouldn’t know if the simichrome yielded a false positive (or negative) because I trust it immensely

Anyway, that’s my first and only test for Bakelite.

Although I never tried the “dipping it 70°c water for 23 seconds at midnight on the 2nd full moon after the vernal equinox and see if it balances on the head of a pin pointed at 65° off magnetic north” test

I hear that one is pretty accurate too
    :woot::woot::woot:

I jest. I’ve always been amused by the variety of off the wall “tests” that are floating around the interwebs, for everything from Bakelite to pearls to gold and dinosaur eggs!

RachelW, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. evelyb30

For pearls, I use a combination of my eyeballs and my teeth. Not sure I'd want to use chemicals on those.

RachelW and kyratango like this.
  7. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I found another potential goodie in this bangle! Charity shop find 2 euros. Funny once you find one they start jumping out at you. The test is a different colour to the necklace, still okay or no?

imresizer-1717155329188.jpg imresizer-1717155371441.jpg

8. evelyb30

It sure wants to be, but that cross on top is Odd to say the least. I've never seen anything like that done in bakelite. I'd say wash it good and try again to eliminate smoker-induced false positives. The Chinese also made some fakes about 20 years ago. (hot pink, purple and pure white are all dead giveaways.)

RachelW likes this.
  9. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Understood! It does need a good clean. I tried a brief clean of the area I tested but will clean thoroughly and try again.

10. evelyb30

I just scored a necklace in a baggie at an estate sale. The paper said "amber". Amber-colored plastic said I. Yeppers - the q-tip turned yellow and raised a stink. The color can be a false positive, but the smell was unmistakeable.

Draft saved Draft deleted