Can't identify this metal item

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by beache, Apr 2, 2020.

1. beache

beache Member

Can anyone tell me what this item is/was used for? My grandmother had it in her drawer when I was a kid. She was born in 1901. She stored her in progress tatting projects in it. I've never seen one of these. It seems to be made of a white metal, not silver.
    It is 3.75" round and 2" high.
    Thanks for any info you can provide. metal 4.jpg metal 5.jpg metal 6.jpg

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

personal ashtray

johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

4. beache

beache Member

That is so cool. I wish I knew where she got it and how old it is. My grandfather was in the Navy and was stationed overseas so maybe from him.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think it was used to put a ball of her fine tatting thread in with the end of the thread put through the small hole in the top .. it helped stop the thread from knotting up as she tatted and also kept it clean .. I can't remember the name of it though ... Joy. :)

Figtree3, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  6. beache

beache Member

After looking online I do think it's a betel box.
    There isn't any hole on top for thread. I think she just used it to store her small tatting pieces before she sewed them altogether.

PortableTreasures, Fid and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, as Holly said, a betel nut or sirih container. Antique, and it is a beauty.
    It is from Sumatra, Indonesia. I think from the Padang region in the West, the Minangkabau people. They have boxes with those lobed sides, and the floral scrolls also look Minangkabau.
    It was part of a set with a small chalk box on a chain, but nowadays they are usually found without the chalk box.
    This is what a set looks like, it was attached to a cotton or silk shawl which hung over the shoulder:

[​IMG]
    Many are low grade silver. I have a few sirih boxes, some test as .500 fineness, some as .800. For comparison, sterling silver is .925.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  8. beache

beache Member

Wow so much good information on this forum. Thank you everyone!
    My grandmother worked as a maid for a very wealthy, well traveled family in the early 1900's. I wonder now if that's where she got it. I'm keeping it, but any idea of the value?

9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

10. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    judy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I have no idea of values, I just identify.;)
    In general, value depends on where you are, and if there is a market for them.

You don't see them for sale that often, but that doesn't mean they are valuable. I won a lot of four .800 silver ones in an auction a few years ago for something like 50 euros, but I guess I was lucky.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Figtree3 and PortableTreasures like this.