Capodimonte lamp, enameled anything more I should know?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bridgets628, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

Hello, my brother grabbed this yesterday and just sent me pics. Its a bit different then the normal I always see. I love the green enameling on it. Aside from being Urn style, enameled, reticulated, Dolphin base, is there anything special about it?? It has brown felt on the bottom, no markings that he can find. Not sure if its worth taking the felt and bottom off to check for markings?

robs capo lamp1.jpg robs capo lamp1.jpg robs capo lamp2.jpg robs capo lamp3.jpg robs capo lamp4.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look like a vase that has been fitted as a lamp. Taking it apart might turn up a mark on the ceramic.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Or maybe not. Is that a plug covering the top or does the ceramic dome up to the socket? If it's a separate plug at the top, it's likely a converted lamp, otherwise made as a lamp from the get go and not likely to have a mark.

4. Cinderella

Cinderella New Member

I have a set of lamps in perfect condition. My mother law gave me them . Probly from 1930's to 1940's. The base has the fish and carved metal ?? . The lamp has six figurines swirling around the top of lamp also has lots of painted gold ,and a laced see thru body . Can you tell me more about them . I cannt find a signiture. It has felt on bottom of the metal base

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Cinderella - please put your question in a separate post and include pictures. We can't tell you much without seeing pictures of the item.

Bridget628 - you might want to include "elfinware" somewhere in the title or description. It's not what most people think of when they think of elfinware but I think it qualifies. I don't think it's worth removing the felt. Might tell you something about the metal but probably not anything about the pottery. It desperately needs a cleaning. Is that a brass ring at the bottom of the dome? Seeing the socket area also might help.
    Don

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Don.
    I thought of Elfinware flowers when I saw it.
    Also removing the felt will only show any metal ware marks. Nothing about the ceramic.

Lamp parts were often commissioned from different makers, then assembled and sold under the assembler's name. So the metal could be American, or British and the ceramic from Italy, Japan or even Germany.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, since this thread started over 2 1/2 years ago, I sincerely doubt the OP will (or even can) change the title or come by the answer questions. ;) Her last visit was April of 2015.

komokwa likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I didn't even think to check the date! I remembered the OP from the old eBay board. I wonder if the lamp ever sold.
    Don

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Glad someone was paying attention, I never checked the dates either.

judy likes this.
  10. Tuper27

Tuper27 New Member

Is anyone available to help identify a lamp? Or ha this site expired?

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Tuper27. The exact opposite of expired. Live and kicking!

You should start a thread of your own about your lamp and be sure to attach pictures. Folks will be along lickety-split!

Draft saved Draft deleted