Capodimonte - Real or Fake

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 12, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This small trinket box has an unusual Capodimonte mark on the bottom. It is unlike any I see on the internet. I am hoping that someone can tell me if it is real or a fake. It is oblong and about 4 inches in diameter and approximately 3 inches high.

IMG_4930.jpg IMG_4938.jpg IMG_4931.JPG IMG_4937.JPG IMG_4936.JPG IMG_4943 (1).JPG IMG_4942.JPG IMG_4933.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Real" Capodimonte hasn't been made since the 1700s. ;)

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

So not "real" then.

judy likes this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Those flowers took some work!

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's many factories round Capodimonte making "style of" pieces. Those roses are typical.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Yes they did. I think it is older Capodimonte style, as the newer ones only have flowers without decoration on the bottom.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Based on your comment, I searched Capodimonte style and hundreds popped up. Very revealing. I paid $4 to learn this lesson. I am of course grateful for you sharing your knowledge with me.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You weren't robbed, it's worth that for being pretty. I'd think sixties.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

A date - Excellent. Thank you. I thought age too due to the cracks in the glaze.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Kiko! You can't judge age by the crazing of the glaze. Crazing has more to do with the glaze formula and the differences that occur in shrinkage between the clay and the glaze when the piece is fired. (I'm sure others could have stated that better). A crazed piece could be made yesterday or a hundred or more years ago. Crazing can also be intentional. It's a lovely piece though!
    Don

BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted