Featured Carboot Bits and Pieces

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 29, 2022.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hello all! I happened across our favorite kind of vendor at this weekend's carboot sale: had too much and didn't want to deal with it so she bagged it and said a euro a bag. Of course I had to have 4 and to be honest I'm not disappointed!

Its all costume except a 900 silver brooch and the black and gold plated necklace. I've done research on some of the pieces, but I have a few questions. I'll break them up into groups and post them separately so as to not overwhelm this thread. To think this is only half the stuff I got from the lady! :D This is only the old/marked collection I've sifted through to get to. She's English but I'm in France so will be all European and predominately English.

All 1.jpg

quirkygirl, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see Spanish damascene, a possible Mary Englebreit hat, Czech black glass beads, a Russian/Baltic painted paper mache round pin, a winged heart that might be a good paste piece... The round earrings are 50s and 60s and were pretty well universal for a while. The Barry Island pin is a souvenir piece of some sort. Beyond that dunno.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Toledo damascene fan brooch looks pre-1960.

Barry Island is a coastal resort in Wales, on the Bristol Channel. Not really an island, rather a peninsula. Maybe it was an island in the very distant past.

RachelW likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's full of old steam engines, as an aside.

RachelW likes this.
  5. RachelW

I did just post this pin in particular because its such fun. Is it much of a destination now? I think I read it kind of tapered off in the 80s.

6. RachelW

Oh I do love new search terms thank you! Two questions now: The beads, how does one tell they're Czech? And the round pin, I see them everywhere in my region of france and yet no search says French? Are they always/mostly russian then? It does have a signature of 'br', but nothing has turned up, possibly an unknown or fake signature like in pictures?

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You see enough of them. The round pins are famously Russian or Baltic; they were made in Ukraine and other places too. A lot aren't signed at all, and most of the signatures are anonymous. They are or were a cottage industry. There's no point in faking them.

Now you've got my attention.

RachelW likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

RachelW and evelyb30 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted