Carolean chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Phil Harrison, Aug 23, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Views/opinions/observations welcome.

But again, it’s not really about the opinions. It’s about the tone in which they’re often expressed and that air of wafty condescension in which they’re sometimes swathed.

I am intimately acquainted with the easy superiority of the faux-expert. Nor is this my first brush with human nature.

I know nothing about the chairs.
    My advice is:

You could start by resizing your photos and embedding them in the post so they can be enlarged instead of a link to the gallery and a small picture.

53156549-110F-4A4E-9BD5-B8D0F5422A42.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

Pareidolia.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Had to look that one up!

TY for adding a new word to my vocabulary......but will I remember it????;)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You may need to.:playful:

judy and James Conrad like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

6. Phil Harrison

Phil Harrison Active Member

Not sure what the intended purpose or impact of the decontextualised and emboldened quotes from my post might be. Actually, that's not true. Of course I am. And I suppose that it's easier than dealing with the actual content of my claims. Cut-and-paste rhetoric trumps engagement, seemingly.

Reasonably happy that by this point in the exchange, and given the degree of the paternalist/maternalist finger wagging that's been directed, I'm entitled to adopt a tone of mild-to-moderate irritation.

But there we are. That's in-group/out-group behaviour for you. Keep those wagons circled tight, folks.

7. Phil Harrison

if a mod would be good enough to terminate my account?

8. Any Jewelry

I am glad you changed that sentence, Phil. Being condescending while asking for a favour is never a good move imo.

Ghopper1924, judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. Phil Harrison

Really? I have no problem with it whatsoever, depending upon the circumstances. That said, I do proceed on a case-by-case basis.

But this isn't what's important. What is important is that you steadfastly and methodically continue to ignore, sidestep or otherwise circumnavigate at all costs any claims against, or criticisms of, esteemed members (aka, buddies) thereby maintaining the integrity of the clique.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Phil Harrison

The hitherto forthright James Conrad is curiously subdued.

What's up James? Cat got your fingers? Come out from behind the skirts of your apologists, why don't you?

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Phil, my brother/my bachelorette waiter, wait.

You've come to a place where people have already fallen in love and become friends.

You, a complete stranger, were welcomed into this place to ask as many questions as you like.

You asked questions and didn't like the perceived tone of the answers you received.

And then, sitting in our place, you've called our friends a bunch of names and repeatedly and publicly scolded them for bad manners.

And then you're surprised that we take offense?

Well, we also have expectations as to how politely mannered people behave.

My brother/my bachelorette waiter, I hate seeing this happen, but the person who sets the fire cannot then complain about the flames.

12. Any Jewelry

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  13. Phil Harrison

I've responded brusquely to curtness and dismissal, cheerfully to humour and hijinks, respectfully to courtesy and politeness.

I've scolded the subject of my complaint and no-one else. Others, to whom I've directed no criticism or censure whatever, have in turn scolded me.

I've been absolutely at pains, whenever levelling crisicisms, to offer justifications, explicitly and in detail. They have been systematically ignored.

I've taken people, very deliberately and precisely, exactly as I've found them.

It could just be the 'our friends' part of the equation that is the problem here.

Tell me something - if your community were to become a clique, if those defensive impulses were to mutate in the direction of something less familial, less wholesome, do you think you'd recognise it?

Sometimes an outsider might just see something you don't.

14. daveydempsey

Found in a barn is the oldest trick in the book.

Just because the chair is located in or close to one of the channel Cinque Ports does not mean it is from France.

Having had a vast experience of how the Brighton Knockers work, this could have been brought down from Scotland in half a day, anywhere in Europe in 5 hours and from the otherside of the world in 24 hours.

judy likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

All this just because you disagree with others opinions ?
    You asked for opinions and they were freely given by people with a vast amount of knowledge.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Phil Harrison

I have no issue with that interpretation. Personally, I find him curt and dismissive.

For what it's worth, I attempted to send him a personal message yesterday, entitled 'Olive branch.' It failed to send. I can only assume he'd blocked me.

I can understand you wanting to think, or actually thinking, that there isn't something of a clique mentality at play here. It isn't necessarily an actual criticism. Cliques amongst members of communities are an unavoidable psychological and anthropological inevitability. I'm just asking that people jump in - if they're going to - on the basis of evidence, rather than loyalty.

17. Phil Harrison

Dave, seriously, how much effort are you expending now in order to ensure that you continue missing my point?

18. Phil Harrison

Thanks Dave. It was my Uncles barn though.

19. Any Jewelry

That is your very personal assumption. No one can send messages to James.
    We get new members almost daily. You call them outsiders, we don't.

judy, Phil Harrison and Bakersgma like this.
  20. daveydempsey

This point ?, the effort is the click of a mouse.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted