Carve Stone Owl NA Fetish? Unmarked

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by trip98, Jul 24, 2020.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Measures approx 4" high 2" deep 2 3/4 wide stoneowl1 copy.jpg stoneowl2 copy.jpg stoneowl5 copy.jpg

Photo colors are a bit dark more of yellowish green cream ground with medium brown over tones.

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I for one, don't see NA..

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure I'm seeing an owl.(LOL)

judy likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I can see an owl(ish) but I don’t see anything remotely NA.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes to owl, no to NA.

judy and reader like this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. This is from an extensive collection of authentic tribal art, mostly NA, but the collection also included a lot of antiquities from around the world. This piece stumped me...

judy, Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

@Taupou

Let’s see if we can get you an answer!

judy likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

All I can offer is to concur that it is definitely not Native American.

I would also point out that Chinese carvings of birds and animals imitating Native American fetishes have flooded the market lately. While I can't say positively that is what this is, it does arouse my suspicions.

PortableTreasures, judy and reader like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think this is tribal or antiquity related. Maybe they just liked it. I have tribal pieces, antiques and antiquities, but also trinkets I just happen to like.

trip98, reader and judy like this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

The owner passed in the late 1990s. While many pieces were very good in the collection there were definitely a few newer "fakes" that either the buyer knew as such or was ripped off. Some of the inventory was purchased online. Much was purchased in the Southwest from reputable dealers from 1960s-1980s

I helped evaluate an estate a year ago and I was so sad that the owner had paid over $5,000 for a fake Galle lamp with GOA from an "antique" store in NY. Ha. Sold at the estate sale for $250.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Sadly that happens every day, all day. I’ve stopped telling estate companies when they have obvious fakes priced as authentic as I’ve finally learned that most don’t care. Secondary market buying is definitely “Buyer Beware!”. A recent estate sale “treasure” was a street corner Chanel scarf made of poly with a lopsided machine stitched edge priced at $275! I hope no one bought it.

PortableTreasures and trip98 like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see fake designer stuff around sometimes, but generally not priced as legit. Then again I've also gotten precious metal here and there priced as cheap costume - can't argue with that one.

reader and trip98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted