Featured Carved figure holding flowers & a basket of fish - need help please.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Jul 19, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This piece was one of the things I got on the table lot last Friday. I thought I had figured out who she was but now I am second-guessing myself. :bag:

She is 8" tall. There is an impressed "CHINA" mark on the bottom as well as possibly a couple of Chinese characters that could possibly be the carver's name.

I am not sure what kind of material was used to make this piece. The bottom is super smooth & has 2 holes that I assume were used to hold this piece in place while being made or her original stand had 2 pegs that would keep her secure or both. :confused::confused:

I am also not sure if her exterior was painted. I was surprised that she was a solid piece & thought she was plastic when I first saw her. Whatever is on the exterior it is also a very smooth feeling.

She does have some scattered discoloration as is shown in the photo of the back of the piece.

@Any Jewelry I know you will recognize her immediately. :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks like boxwood. The discolouration could be water damage.

3. bercrystal

@Houseful - The coloring on many of the boxwood pieces does appear very similar.

Thanks for the information!! :happy::kiss:

pearlsnblume, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Won't be surprised if Any Jewelry tells you it's a him.

5. bercrystal

You are probably right. ;) :happy::happy::happy:

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Guanyin in his/her manifestation as a beautiful young fish seller who teaches villagers some valuable Buddhist lessons. She is lovely, Peggy.
    One of the girl's lessons was the important 'Lotus Sutra', the oldest Guanyin myth, which explains the true nature of Guanyin/Avalokiteshvara. That is why the girl is holding a lotus.

This is the story of the beautiful young fish seller:
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/fish-basket/
    True.:) Guanyin is a him, a her, and androgynous. Guanyin is the Chinese adaptation of the Bodisattva (Buddha aspect) of mercy, Avalokiteshvara. When Avalokiteshvara was introduced in China, he(?) merged with local pre-Buddhist Goddess and became Guanyin.

8. bercrystal

:woot::woot: for me - I was right after all!! :smug::smug::smug::smug:

I have a feeling that some of the folks here in the good ole USA would have a few problems with Guanyin's "transition". In fact, I really think it would make their heads explode. ;) :playful::playful: :p:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any chance of it happening again? ;) :smuggrin::smuggrin: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thank you to both @Any Jewelry & @kyratango!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

9. AveCo

AveCo New Member

I believe that is a late 19th early 20th century( as the standalone China mark would indicate late Qing early Republic) boxwood carving of a Guanyin. Very nice form, I have always preferred the slender carvings.
    Jeremy

bercrystal likes this.
  10. bercrystal

@AveCo - Hello & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Thank you for the additional information.

Draft saved Draft deleted