Carved Horn 2

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jun 22, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

horn10.JPG horn11.JPG horn12.JPG horn13.JPG horn14.JPG horn15.JPG horn16.JPG horn18.JPG horn19.JPG horn21.JPG This dragon is about 6" tall, the top measures 4" x 2 1/4". Any idea how old this might be?

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I don't wish to be an alarmist, but there is a possibility that this is rhinoceros horn. The feature that struck me first is the steep angle of the cone, more characteristic of rhinoceros than cattle species. The walls seem to be quite thick. And the circumference seems to be quite irregular. I am not referring to the obviously carved scallops around the top, but the basic shape of the cross section. But it is very difficult to make such determinations from photographs alone. I cannot tell how deep the hollow is, compared to the total length, which would be a significant clue.

Cattle horns grow over a bone core, in a series of nesting cones. They are hollow for most of their length, with just a small portion of solid material at the tip. Inside, at the center of the tip, there is an "eye" pattern created by the overlapping series of cones. The walls of cattle and bison horns are relatively thin, as support is provided by the bony core. The base of the horn tends to have a smooth circumference, round, or elliptical, or triangular, but not wavy and irregular.

Rhinoceros horns do not grow over a bone core. Rather, they grow like bundles of hair fibers extending upward from the skin surface. There is only a shallow hollow at the base of the horn. This would be enlarged by carving for the traditional use as a drinking cup. Because of this hair-like structure, a cross section of Rhino horn will not show patterns of growth rings like the stacked cones of cow horns. Instead, under sufficient magnification, it will show a collection of tubes. These tubes are about .5mm in diameter, hence the need for significant magnification.
    [​IMG]

On the cow side of the argument, I do seem to see some rings around the top cross section. And possibly an eye inside the tip. The style of carving seems to be later than what is seen in traditional Chinese rhino horn carvings as well.

https://www.fws.gov/lab/idnotes/IDG_13_RhinoHorn.pdf

dude and smallaxe like this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks 2many. Is rhino horn a bad thing?

judy likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, Mr Google says, quickly.......

"Sec. 3. Prohibitions, Penalties and Exceptions:
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, offer for sale, purchase, barter or possess with intent to sell, any ivory, ivory product, rhinoceros horn, or rhinoceros horn product, except as provided pursuant to this section."
    Says a lot more, but I just copied that part......

6. kraftblue

Thanks Holly and Aquitaine.

judy likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Where was this information from,as far as I know there are 10 states which ban the sale of ivory and federal law against interstate sales.

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

All I did was Google: Is it illegal to own rhinoceros horn....quick & general....that's what came up, but there was more detail.....

judy likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Like elephant ivory, sale or trade of rhinoceros parts are prohibited. It is a protected species.

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

11. kraftblue

12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I believe they became legal to sell again in South Africa in 2017, and where the big auctions and old rhino horns (libation cups) are concerned, there seems to be no issues. http://www.alaintruong.com/archives/2018/05/27/36438259.html. I had a few in 2008 but had no idea what they were. The dealers who got them at the local market only answered what they were not: ivory and petrified wood.

judy likes this.
  13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Very informative! Neat post!

2manybooks and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted