carved ivory tusk- how much?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nico Christensen, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Nico Christensen

Nico Christensen New Member

Ivory Tusk Carving features images of elephants, snakes, tortoises, snail, owls, flamingos, birds, grapes, foliage, the 3 wise monkeys, clouds. the piece is heavy, just short of 5kg . This is a stunning piece of decorative art. Dimensions: 48cm high. I am curious how much it is worth if I wanted to sell it? and also where could I sell it within the uk? P.S it was made before 1947.
    View attachment 173853 View attachment 173854 View attachment 173855

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Need a closeup of the base with better lighting,it doesn't look like ivory.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah, with those pictures it kinda looks like a resin with the bottom being sanded to sit flat and upright. Resin would also be very heavy in that volume.
    If you have documentation then it may prove it ivory but documents have been faked for many moon.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You can sell it privately, but most auction houses have stopped selling ivory now, even obviously older stuff.You might have a chance if you have good provenance that it is pre 1947.
    I think it is possible to have ivory isotope tested to see if there is any radioactive strontium present, this was unknown in nature till the atomic bombs produced it, 1945 onwards, and minute traces got everywhere.
    For more details Google 'ivory isotope testing'.
    I think this can be done at private labs or the government one.
    It may not be economically viable though. The general market is very depressed due to the problems with selling, it may be best just to keep it.

axelrich, Christmasjoy, Fid and 3 others like this.
  5. Nico Christensen

6. Nico Christensen

I am pretty sure it is real as it held a blow torch to the bottom and nothing happened

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  7. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Not my area of expertise but the color seems oddly uniform to me. Even the faux ivory decorative pieces have more contrast. Again, just an observation.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

doesn't look like real ivory tusk from here....

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  9. komokwa

upload_2019-4-14_17-3-45.jpeg

this one's not real......looks like yours...

10. komokwa

upload_2019-4-14_17-8-5.jpeg

this is what the base should look like..

11. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

It also doesn’t help that it looks like the pictures were taken in some kind of “import/bizzare” shop that’s not likely to sell anything old or valuable. Just another observation.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, Fid and 3 others like this.
  12. komokwa

13. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

If it is real you will need to sell it fast as the Ivory ban hits the UK before the end of this year :(

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

???!!! Was it lit? Did you find this somewhere as a suggested way to test for ivory? Genuine ivory is identifiable through visual examination; you don't have to torch it.

Everything you need to know about ID here:

https://www.fws.gov/lab/ivory.php

15. komokwa

gives new meaning to the hot pin test...:eek::eek::eek:

16. Bronwen

Anywhere. Unless your photos are really misrepresenting it, it is not ivory.

Not that it matters, but how do you know this?

upload_2019-4-15_3-9-11.png

upload_2019-4-15_3-11-7.png

17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:eek::nailbiting::banghead::muted:

18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:arghh:I find very sad to think so much elephants were slaughtered when so many people are convinced resin is actual ivory, and can’t recognize it:(

19. Bronwen

Yeah, ivory, the resin substitute. :(

20. maldonadoale

maldonadoale New Member

We are Professional IT technicians and we produce SUPER UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT MONEY for all currencies. Our notes are industrially and professional produced. We use quality foil paper elements.20% of cellulose and 80% of cotton paper.Our bills have the Infrared Detecton which makes our bills to bypass the UV machines, Pen test and even eye detection by counterfeit experts. Contact us:
    Email: Mcpinna757@gmail.com
    Whatsapp: +237650002084

We also have available ielts Certificates. Buy the ielts certificate without exam. Available also are International Driver's license, vissa, passport, birth certificate, green card, Gold bars for sale and Diamonds.

Our Work is known world wide and our buyers have always returned for Thousands and Thousands of our currencies. Our notes are AAA+ grade Quality. We also sell and provide money cleaning services and solutions. We sell AAA+ SSD Black Money Solution

These features make our bills to be 100% undetected,100% safe and secure to use in any of these areas: BANKS, ******, ATM, MONEY CHANGERS, STORES. They are 100% Undetected. Contact us:

SECURITY FUTURES ON OUR BANK NOTES. -Holograms and Holographic Strips -Micro-Lettering -Methalic Ink and Thread -Watermarks -IR Detecton -Ultra-violet features -See through Features -Different serial numbers
    Contact us:

Draft saved Draft deleted