Featured Carved plaque...... V&A ......excitement!!!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Jun 20, 2019.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

2. 808 raver

3. 808 raver

I hope you can see that from the angle the photos are taken makes the piece look different. The size of the plaque is only 40cm-30cm so all the photos are far bigger than the real thing

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How is the stippled effect on the uncarved areas achieved? This carver has a distinctive way of making bird wings, with what I'm calling a notch.

Wing1_LI.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  5. Bronwen

I don't suppose the indentation with the dots constitutes a mark of some kind?

upload_2019-6-22_14-28-38.png

6. Bronwen

Boy, does she ever! :)

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

SIDEBAR: Have you tried taking pictures on a dark/black background? The white background can throw off lighting in most cameras.

Not saying you'll get perfect pics, but probably different. ;)

8. Bronwen

These touches catch my eye as an unusual characteristic:

Wing2_LI.jpg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you post the reply in Italian you got? Not just the Google translation (which is jibberish.)

Debora

scoutshouse, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. 808 raver

Dalla tesi si evince che nella biblioteca comunale di Siena vi è un manoscritto originale, lasciato dalla moglie nel 1912 (Taccuino di memorie), con 4 grandi libri con oltre trecento disegni di motivi decorativi realizzati fino al 1855 (Studi di lavoro: sono 4 grandi libri verdi). La fotocopia di uno di questi (tavola 140) è vagamente simile, rappresenta uno scudo con una testa di Medusa o di Bacco al centro. Altri materiali sono nell'archivio del Liceo artistico di Siena (ex Istituto d'arte).

Il disegno originale potrebbe essere in quel manoscritto.

[...] La tecnica dell'ornato in quel momento storico, ma fino ad anni a noi molto vicini, include un linguaggio standardizzato e diffuso, e potrebbe essere un'opera di scuola.

11. 808 raver

Think mine has all of those, the flower shape on mine has a ring inside

12. Bronwen

The translation, as I recall it, is accurate.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum. Why don't you hire a local researcher? A starving art student, for instance?

Debora

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. 808 raver

Thanks I'm going to put him in my list of people to call after the library if the V&A don't come up with anything. I think it's going to be tracking down all the paper drafts of his carvings and seeing if it's in there, other than that it will always be attributed to rather than by him.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You may never be able to attribute it to a specific carver but clearly a masterwork.

Debora

17. Bronwen

upload_2019-6-22_16-25-20.png

Looks like Raphael at the top of the frame.

scoutshouse and 808 raver like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm not seeing the same shapes present in both the chest and your placque, there are - as you yourself note - differences.
    For instance, the flower on the chest is face down, notice that the stem connects to the center of it so therefore we're actually seeing the underside of the flower... which seems an unusual characteristic. The flower on your placque is face up and the flower's center is visible (the inner ring).
    That said, I don't suppose a carver would carve each of his pieces exactly the same.

scoutshouse, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  19. Bronwen

@808 raver What's the attribution on the frame in post #11? You probably told us before, or maybe you've told us somewhere here & I'm looking past it.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  20. 808 raver

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted