Featured Carved Scandinavian Spoon

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DragonflyWink, Nov 29, 2015.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

With both time and money in short supply of late, haven't really added much to my personal collections - but couldn't resist this wonderful thing, which fits into my love of the Scandinavian, as well as treen, wood carvings, and spoons. Good sized at 11.5 inches, it's most likely Swedish, a mid 19th century carved walnut spoon, and with such nice work, was probably a courtship or betrothal gift...

~Cheryl

swedishbetrothalspooncomposite.jpg swedishbetrothalspoon1.jpg swedishbetrothalspoon2.jpg swedishbetrothalspoon3.jpg swedishbetrothalspoon4.jpg

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Oooo It is lovely!

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I see the beautiful walnut. I wonder about the usage and or display...
    Dragonfly... is it finished with a seal or varnish? If so, it would have been completely decorative, but if it were just polished to a sheen, could it have served something? Or just hang on a wall, or be tucked away as a treasured?
    So pretty. Oh, and were there also forks and more, or just spoons, and why? Really makes me curious.

DragonflyWink and KingofThings like this.
  6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Messi! Aren't they beautiful? And I get that the serving spoon represents cohabitation, etc., and is also a round and feminine sort of vessel... a very nice courtship proposal. I would still want a diamond, but...

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

No finish at all, just silky smooth wood - really a pleasure to handle, almost voluptuous with the curves...

More utilitarian spoons were also made, but one like this would have been made by a suitor to show his skills - in the Scandinavian countries, Sweden in particular, the gift and acceptance of a spoon and a ring was often considered a binding betrothal (though the spoon was often silver - preferred, I suspect). Norwegians also had a traditional wedding spoon which was two spoons joined by a chain, all carved from one piece of wood. 'Love spoons' were also common to other European countries, but the intricately carved Welsh love-spoons are probably best known...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wel...Vh4KHVosCGgQ_AUICCgC&biw=1525&bih=705&dpr=0.9

https://www.google.com/search?q=sca....9#tbm=isch&q=norwegian+wedding+spoon&imgrc=_

~Cheryl

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you! I just love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted