Carved wood figurine - where's this guy from, and what's going on with his torso?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by aaroncab, Oct 24, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

African? Little dude has my hairstyle - balding with a beard :D Aaaaand...what's the deal with his torso? looks kind of like a bird's beak?

Thanks again for any input!

~

37881253772_e868952782_k.jpg 37912112401_5064bb7e0f_k.jpg 37912103771_976ed7cbd4_k.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

komokwa and SBSVC like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Seems the lower part of the opening is unfinished or worn.
    Maybe something is missing.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. aaroncab

Good point - maybe he's part of a larger piece - or he's the larger piece missing a smaller piece.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oooowww, yuk !

& now I'll tell you why ..

I say this biting my lip.....;)...It's a model of a Moai Kavakava...originally carved in sacred wood from Easter Island ( Rapa Nui )

upload_2017-10-24_20-22-22.jpeg

this one sold for 600 Grand !:woot::woot::woot::woot:

upload_2017-10-24_20-26-0.jpeg

They come in many shapes and sizes......most looking like emaciated males.:inpain:

Yours is a modern poor quality tourist carving from lord knows where ..but likely Chile.:vomit:

upload_2017-10-24_20-29-21.jpeg

Museum quality...!!!

upload_2017-10-24_20-36-30.jpeg
    They are ancestor figures, & they are awesome...

Yours....not so much !!

( & yes, I've had more than one in my hand......)

6. aaroncab

Goood thing I only paid 50c :D I was really just more interested to know about the form and what culture it was from - I could tell it was very crudely done. The real kavakava's are beautiful and fascinating! Thanks Komo!

7. komokwa

You're welcome..........sorry if I sounded a bit off putting...:oops:

8. aaroncab

Not at all - I too am now saying yuck looking at my guy who is little more than a chotsky compared to those beautiful works of art!

9. komokwa

Well....he is kinda cute for half a buck !
    :happy::happy:

10. aaroncab

And more importantly...it led me to a VERY cool lesson on Moai art provided very graciously by yourself - so thanks again!

judy, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

This is a great lesson on real vs repro, I see quite alot of the posters type pieces, and don't know enough about it. but seeing it next to the real thing, no comparison

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Moai Kavakava are representations of people commonly called 'Longears', the former elite of the island who had long ears, extended earlobes with heavy plaques or pendants. The workers wore no ear jewellery, they were the 'Shortears'.
    Longear during the first European (Dutch) expedition of 1722:

upload_2017-10-25_11-52-51.jpeg

During the heyday of Easter Island culture more and more of the giant stone statues were carved. And more of the small wooden statues, which were probably linked to the 'birdman' ceremony.
    During the 'birdman' ceremony, representatives of the Longear elite jumped off a cliff and swam to a nearby small island inhabited by birds, in a sacred competition to retrieve the first egg of the year. The man whose swimmer came back with the first egg was birdman for a year, an important ceremonial title.

Most of what is known about early Easter Island customs comes from the descriptions of 18th century European visitors. During the 18th and 19th centuries there were many wars between the elite and the workers. The giant statues were toppled and the few remaining Longears were massacred. The old ceremonies of the Longears were no longer performed, or performed without knowing the proper background. Most of the symbolism was forgotten.
    What followed was a period of disease, mostly through European and American contact, famine, and slave raids from Chile, the nearest country. Only 36 people survived this period, and Easter Island is now part of Chile.

When tourism started, the islanders made 'copies' of the old wooden Longear figures as souvenirs. If Kard's figurine is anything to go by, even that went downhill since I bought mine in the early 70s.
    They are also trying to revive old customs.
    By the way, all of the souvenir statues are made in Chile, because Easter Island is part of Chile. It is a source of income for many families on an island that has little besides tourism.

upload_2017-10-25_11-53-19.jpeg

Both pictures are from the book 'Île de Pâques' by Bob Putigny

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    komokwa, aaroncab and judy like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Funny, you see that ear thing in programmes today like embarrassing bodies !!

aaroncab and judy like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And on my avatar.;)
    (Just the round plugs, the things that stick out are part of the hairstyle)

aaroncab and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted