Featured Carved Wood Polychrome, Saint Nicholas?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mr2real, Jun 28, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This was a $6 flea market find today. It stuck me as unusual and was definitely the odd man out among the rest of the junk there, lol. It measures 14.5" tall and 5x5" at the base. I was thinking it might be Spanish. The bottom has worn red velvet on paper. Any thoughts as to age or origin is greatly appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the hardware looks 60's and I'd say eastern europe......but it's a WAG !

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like a liquor bottle presentation "box"

Christmasjoy, judy, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

There are a couple pictured on Google with this search - 2 the same as yours and another same idea, different figure. One is priced at 45 usd, so....................

wooden liquor bottle boxes

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

This week, news media reported the discovery of the grave and remains of St. Nicholas. Today an archaeologist who participated in that discovery, Dr. Johannes Van Gestern, stated that the excavation leaders withheld the news until the identity was confirmed by the recovery nearby of the remains of eight reindeer.

Beware of fake news!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Polish folk art, and as others have said, for bottles.

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SPOIL SPORT.....DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE JUST DONE TO MILLIONS OF KIDS CHRISTMAS'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

But then they probably don't follow Antiquers.com

8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt, however, that the box in question is supposed to be St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas was a bishop, and as such, he is depicted either wearing a miter, or bare headed (in pictures often with a halo). He would not be shown wearing a crown, which this figure seems to have on his head.

St. Nicholas also carries a book, and usually a crosier (the bishop's staff.)

This figure probably is one of the Three Kings, also associated with Christmas, also known as the Three Wisemen. Which would explain the crown.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted