Featured Carved Wood Wall Panel

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by StaceyFinds, Oct 16, 2022.

1. StaceyFinds

StaceyFinds Active Member

Hello,

I found this wall panel yesterday. I just thought it was really cool. Does anyone have any knowledge of where it could be from and who it may represent? Is it a tourist piece? Is it African or from South Asia? Is that a diety? Also, I was wondering if those were monkeys at her feet or little demons? I have no knowledge about this type of thing. Measures 38.25” tall and 11.25” wide.

Thanks for any info!

E7E7C278-8170-4FEC-8614-0AA91A0A67C8.jpeg EC1EA1E5-45B0-4E1E-98A3-65C961507E8E.jpeg 297C6347-A81A-4EDC-97EA-13FACA601BB1.jpeg 5F5914AF-25F0-4F34-81D9-A848DA3BB7DD.jpeg 2288FC29-1E67-4DF1-BCB3-081620C5E82B.jpeg

Born2it, lovewrens, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She's a cat-goddess, apparently. With peculiar thumbs.
    The back shows bandsaw (re-sawn) tooth marks, I think.
    Is it painted, or is that the natural color of the material?
    It looks almost like slate.

KikoBlueEyes and StaceyFinds like this.
  3. StaceyFinds

Thanks for your input! I think it may be stained. My husband said those were bandsaw marks too. Definitely wood. What do you think the creatures are that are sitting at her feet?

405689BE-EC66-4ED6-95F4-E920974CCBCB.jpeg

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think the "at the feet" creatures, at least in their faces, look suspiciously like small versions of the proverbial "GRINCH", BWDIK!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::joyful: BUT what's that little creature the main character's holding in her hand?? HA! Maybe I shouldn't ask! AND how do we figure she's a 'cat person'??

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  5. StaceyFinds

They do look like the grinch! :joyful: I didn’t realize she was holding something in her hands. I thought that was just the front of her dress.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. StaceyFinds

Thank you for your input!

Born2it likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Facial features...including whiskers...cat-lovers see cats everywhere, but this is particularly obvious, at least to me.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AHA!! I see now, point taken!!!:singing:

10. StaceyFinds

I agree about cat lovers (which I am too). :happy:

lovewrens likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is a modern take on a kepeng Dewi Sri. The panel was made fairly recently for export or as souvenir.

Dewi Sri is the Javanese Goddess of rice, fertility and abundance. Balinese culture is greatly influenced by Javanese culture, and Dewi Sri is very important on Bali as well.

Kepeng is the Javanese name for Chinese cash coins, which were used as currency in some rural areas of Indonesia. Introduced by Chinese traders.

There is one village on Bali where they make Dewi Sri images out of kepengs that are tied together to form the body, with wooden faces, crowns, hands and feet. They are now mostly made as souvenirs.
    The carving of the wood on kepeng Dewis used to be pretty basic, which the carver of your panel has translated into features which look cat-like to some people.
    Dewi Sri is not connected with cats in any way. (I am also a cat lover btw)

3x kepeng Dewi Sri:

upload_2022-10-16_19-58-10.jpeg

The carver of your panel also used kepeng in the borders.
    The creatures at her feet could be the maker's interpretation of Makaras, protective mythical creatures. On Bali you often find Makara statues on either side of temple gates.

Just wondering, you said you found it, did you buy it?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Boland, Bakersgma, wlwhittier and 4 others like this.
  12. StaceyFinds

Thank you so much for that information! Yes, I purchased it at a local Goodwill. I thought it was super interesting and the price was great.

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I'm glad you like it.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted