Carved wooden Ginger jars ??? how would i clean them

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by louise gaskell, Apr 20, 2021.

1. louise gaskell

louise gaskell New Member

Hi ..i have had these for a long time ..just dug them out , very dusty ..any idea on how to clean them ...i know its carved wood of some kind ....i know nothing about them 20210415_114658 ginger 3.jpg 20210415_114807 ginger 2.jpg

Attached Files:

TraceyB likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

soft damp towel........

TraceyB and sabre123 like this.
  3. louise gaskell

Thank you !

TraceyB likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely !!!

TraceyB likes this.
  5. louise gaskell

would you know how old they are and what is the wood? i can only find cinnabar ones ...possibly discolored /????

TraceyB and Houseful like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I couldn’t find any wooden ones either but yours look a bit brown for cinnabar. That said you should be able to see layers in the carving if it’s cinnabar.

TraceyB likes this.
  7. louise gaskell

hi yes there are alot of layers ...thank you for that information ..i wonder why its a different color ...any idea on the marks on the bottom? or age?
    Thank you

TraceyB likes this.
  8. Houseful

9. Houseful

All I can make out is the word CHINA on the base.

TraceyB likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You might also use a soft bristle toothbrush to get in all the crevices.

komokwa and TraceyB like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your jar looks like Chinese carved lacquer, although it is a less common color. Layers of lacquer are built up over a wooden form and then carved. The lacquer can be colored by different pigments - yellow from orpiment, blacks from carbon and iron oxides, and reds from natural mineral cinnabar (mercury sulphide), synthetic vermilion, and hematite (red iron oxide). It is a misnomer to refer to all such pieces as cinnabar, as technically that should only refer to the color produced by the mercury sulfide pigment.

upload_2021-4-20_18-8-36.jpeg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/chinese-lacquer-ware-cinnabar-ginger-1839611705

https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitio...t=5000–ca.,surfaces of sculptures and vessels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carved_lacquer

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. louise gaskell

Thank you all so much ..one more question any idea on the age ...i was researching and i am thinking between 1910 -1930?

Draft saved Draft deleted