Featured Carved Wooden lacquered? Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ratsy Brown, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

hi all
    Firstly apologies for the poor picture quality taken from the inside of my car...
    Here i have a wooden bowl approz 5.75 inches in diameter
    It is a heavy wood and feels very cold, carved all over inside and out. Lacquered or painted in dark brown/black?
    Im open to all help
    92C0D592-0EA1-40CE-83C9-ABB3BB9B8C22.jpeg 7328B3E9-ABAB-4E24-B8AC-44B6A0F44FFF.jpeg FD43E089-1077-41FE-B0ED-0A7CB71341B7.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ratsy, no need to apologize, the pictures are very good.
    And it is a very beautiful bowl. It is from the Himalayas, probably Nepal.
    The symbols are the Ashtamangala, the sacred suite of Eight Auspicious Signs, or Eight Buddhist treasures.
    I know you don't have a problem with explanations, so here we go;), not while you're driving:eek::

- The endless knot - the intertwining of wisdom and compassion, and interconnectedness of other important aspects which will lead to enlightenment.
    - The victory banner - the victory of the activities of one's own and others body, speech and mind over obstacles and negativitities.
    - The Dharmachakra, or wheel of law - the turning of the wheel of Dharma, which means continuous instructing of Buddha's teachings and living according to them.
    - The bejewelled parasol - protection from illness, harmful forces and suffering.
    - The goldfish - a state of fearlessness, without danger of drowning in the ocean of sufferings.
    - The wisdom or treasure vase - an inexhaustible vessel for wisdom, longevity, health, wealth, prosperity. Also the wisdom and spiritual treasure gained through initiation.
    - The lotus flower - rising from wordly defilement to purity through spiritual growth, just like the beautiful lotus flower rises from muddy waters.
    - The right-coiled white conch - the deep and far-reaching sound of the Dharma teachings, which awakens disciples from the deep slumber of ignorance.

These symbols were originally ancient Indian symbols of royalty and have found their way to Hinduism and Buddhism. Gautama Buddha himself was a prince.

The bottom depicts the churning of the cosmic sea, to obtain amrita, the nectar of life. Wonderful!
    The churning of the cosmic sea is a Hindu myth, which also points to Nepal, where Hinduism and Buddhism are often combined.

3. Ratsy Brown

Wow thanks so much for that explanation! I know a little of the Buddhist treasures from my obsession as a teen, didnt make the connection here though!

Your knowledge is seemingly without limit

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Any Jewelry

Only seemingly.;)
    This forum keeps me learning every day.:)

Aquitaine, verybrad, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I also explored Buddhism as a teen, thought that would be my direction, but it wasn't. I still regard Buddha as one of the great world teachers, though.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I like this a lot, I've never seen this sort of work and carved Indian work is my thing

7. Ratsy Brown

Me neither, havent found anything similar online and cant work out what wood has been used. Very heavy and mid brown in colour.

yourturntoloveit and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I haven't seen it before either, I am just going by the style and symbolism if the carving. I absolutely love that bowl.
    Here is one of my Nepali bracelets with similar decorations:
    upload_2017-10-25_12-15-36.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-25_12-15-53.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-25_12-16-14.jpeg

9. Ratsy Brown

That is adorable!

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

The work looks as good quality as Nagina carving but the style isn't right, do you think the black is rubbed ebonizing?

Ratsy Brown, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Looks like it.

808 raver, Ratsy Brown and judy like this.
  12. Ratsy Brown

Ive contacted a couple of auction houses, if i get any more details i will let you know

808 raver and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Wonderful! I'd love to know.

808 raver and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted