Featured Carving Origins ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Drew, Oct 24, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Then maybe I should say.....finesse of the design....how the body parts are treated.....
    does that make more sense..?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Like a more rounded spine, that sort of thing?

judy and komokwa like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the info. The images of these museum quality examples are stunning in form, detail and patina of the wood. Powerful pieces !

5. komokwa

Yes, that is where I was headed, but in no way am I thinking to compare Drew's with a Toromiro wood carving from the 1500's....or 1700's....as that would be unfair to his lovely carving.
    It's got size and presence and the face is what you would expect of a genuine Island carving.

6. Any Jewelry

Thanks, toomany, I always love those early ones. I thought komo might be talking about moai with a closer resemblance to the genuine moai kavakava.

I still think the quality of carving depends on the talent of the carver. And I agree, @komokwa , they just don't make 'em like the 15th-17th century ones.
    I guess it is the usual souvenir art story: in the 15th century carving was only done by those deemed good enough, possibly in a ritual setting. But when the locals found they could trade carvings for goods that were of more value to them (or for money), everyone who could hold a knife started to carve. Some still had talent, others didn't. And some just didn't want to spend time on perfection, when imperfection sold as well.
    Easter Islanders were very poor, they had survived devastating epidemics, slavery, and loss of most of their traditions and culture. Under conditions like that aesthetics aren't that important.
    Most antique moai were made for trade, to barter with passing sailors. In the 19th century they were also made to sell to tourists or outsiders who worked on the island.

On this site are pictures of late 19th century wooden moai, some kavakava, some other types, from the Museo de Historia Natural de Valparaíso (Chile):
    http://www.mhnv.cl/636/w3-article-48919.html?_noredirect=1
    Most moai shown on the site are made of that reddish wood mine is made of, but there is one that is made of that two-tone wood like Drew's:
    [​IMG]

I must say, the carving on both Drew's 1938 moai, and my 1973-74 moai, is of better quality than this antique one. Which would support my theory of the talent of the carver.

Here is some more info on the Valparaíso collection and woodcarving on Easter Island in general (in Spanish):
    http://www.mhnv.cl/sitio/Contenido/Colecciones-digitales/48904:Artesania-en-madera-de-Isla-de-Pascua

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

The answer to my question was in the book all along. . among it's 346 photographs - "Traded for cloths" ! IMG_0762.JPG

8. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, Drew. Goes to show, always listen to your father, he is still speaking to you. But with all his adventures, it must be hard to find if you don't know in which direction to look. That is what the forum is for.:)

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Wow! Great provenance. But it makes you wonder where all of the rest of the objects are.

aaroncab likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Divided among a crew of 18 Americans... returned home to Goucester, Ma. May, 1938. The piece which is the topic of this thread was given to my uncle in the 60's...when he passed, the carving found it's way to me. My Brother has a very similar example, so my dad had acquired two. In the deck photo above of the entire collection, the pair is seen in center of photo. I really love the carving... it's quit something to hold in your hands.

11. komokwa

. if...
    you can link it to your Dads trip..

Well done Drew..............1938 it is !!! :)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted