Cassel and Co- book on famous paintings

Discussion in 'Books' started by Tinytim, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

hi everyone
    It’s been a while.
    I found this book in the cupboard. It’s 2 volumes and has many paintings inside it as the name suggests
    I don’t think these are very popular but their price seems to vary. I wanted to know is that are these paintings valuable if I remove them from the book or are these photos stuck on the paper.
    I must say mine has too many spots internally. The paper is also very brittle
    Do you have any leads if this book is popular or sought after ?
    BCC5F093-3276-4731-B83F-F52E309C02BF.jpeg 8868F929-A4DF-4695-B281-1F90944F1E8F.jpeg
    FCA23258-74AB-4E17-8A31-9E1BBFCDDB3F.jpeg 5104E095-5AED-404C-B919-D9BADEBFF506.jpeg

2. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not worth the effort, and people probably like the set better.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

when listed, you have to mention the introduction by G.K. Chesterton to tear in literary-interested people

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looking at Abebooks, I'm guessing this was originally published as a subscription series and later collected and re-published as these 2 volumes. Most date it 1912/13.

Yours look to be never used and you have both volumes, but brittleness and foxing might cancel that out. I doubt there's much demand.

Must have been very impressive when new. No doubt the original owner thought he was making a sound investment (and he might have been had the paper been better quality).

The plates were tipped-in - printed separately and glued into place - and the printing would be good quality for the time, but nothing special now. It was how color illustrations were usually handled back then. I have a coffee table book on Impressionists printed in the late 1960s using the same technique (and thought that was a sound investment).

Someone might like that the prints look antiquey.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

When you say asking price that means probably not even worth that much :arghh:

May make sense to give it to someone who is passionate about books and painting and will cherish this

7. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Thanks moreotherstuff. Yes it was kept very carefully by my grand father.
    Will pass it on to someone who will cherish this for some more years

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll bet you can find someone. The books will be full of great art.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is wonderful. Those books were made so people would enjoy art and get to know paintings they would never see in real life. I still enjoy books like these, so much nicer than looking at pictures on the internet. I'm sure many others do too.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Gorgeous set of books, Tt. They look wonderful. It's such a shame that these sorts of books are now so undervalued. :(

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have one of these volumes, not in such great shape. I just enjoy it myself and never imagined it was worth a great deal in resale.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted