Cast Iron Horse ? Sculpture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I did not find any artist's signature but just some marks on the round plate at the stem that I think are of the manufacturer of one of the part.
    So,what do you think, hobbyist piece? Any guess on the age?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

First reactions...
    Maybe one of our welders here can evaluate the welding quality (Looks like welding to me).
    Man, that horse has long ears! Other equine? Conformation doesn't look like a donkey or mule...
    Cute, though... maybe made for a business or residence porch or such, depending on height.
    I make out the marks to be... A/000... 1/4... ASA Garage (Gadgets? Garbage?)...

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Bob.
    Last Tuesday.
    ;)
    Welding looks ok.
    May be 'gas' welded.
    I like it.
    Not bad.
    It goes on the back patio/deck. :)
    Or... Perhaps off that base and fit to a tall-ish pole.

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It rotates? Style looks fairly modern, 60s or 70s if not newer, but it is pretty rusty for that kind of age, except for the washers on the bottom. I'd guess it has been out in the rain; made by a hobbyist with a welder, just because he could, and put out in the garden for 40-50 years....

I read "1600 ASA" which sounds like a film speed, but likely refers to a standard for pipe flanges; "ASA/ANSI" = American Standards Association/American National Standards Institute." 1600 ASA would refer to a specific-sized flange under that standard. See http://www.ancorp.com/familypdfs/file725200881348am63.pdf for examples of that usage.

In other words, this was assembled from pieces on hand; an old flange; rings on the base cut from pipe that was lying around. Speaks of hobbyist welder to me.
    The ASA was reorganized and renamed in 1966, so pipe fittings with an ASA designation are likely not much newer than 1966, though I'm sure stock with older markings continued to be used for some time after that, and a hobbyist could easily have ASA marked fittings in his basement for years.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Perhaps Garco? Garco Manufacturing does not currently manufacture flanges, but their website says they've been in business for 120 years, so who knows.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted