Cast iron receipt / bill spike – identification help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Abegweit, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

I’ve come across many unique items on my travels, but it’s sometimes the common ones that give me the greatest pleasure.

I have a weakness for antique cast iron items, that and this item still serves it purpose just as well now as it did when it was first made.

I did not know there were any many styles of these receipt spikes until I started researching this one. I was searching for an image of this item when life interrupted me multiple times. Later in the same now darker room I held the receipt spike up to the window to check the design again, it was only then I noticed the silhouettes’. Very cool.

Pictures are not the best, but thought I’d share.

I never did find an image of this one anywhere, just wondering if anyone has seen one like this and whether the images are just generic or representative of something. -Thanks

receipt spike 1.jpeg
    receipt spike 2.jpeg

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've seen many bill-spikes in my time (I collect them as part of my wider interest in antique writing and desktop paraphernalia), but I don't think I've ever seen one that looks like it's meant to be wall-mounted.

If it's as old as the ones I have, it'd be from the early 1900s, I reckon.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  3. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, I imagine a few dollars worth of bills were skewered on it in its day :) Thanks

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen these wall mounted ones and there are reproductions out there of both types. Would need to compare yours to known reproductions to tell whether your is old or new.