Catholic crucifix, 19th-17th century?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, May 11, 2022.

1. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

I bought a cross, I was told that it was definitely from the 19th century, and could have been made earlier.What is this cross, what was it used for? What is his date? What is that hole at the bottom? 8.jpeg 10.jpeg 6.jpeg 14.jpeg 11.jpeg 9.jpeg 3.jpeg 2.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear to be terribly old. What is it made of? Are those "stones" glued on? Are both sides the same? Can the gunk obscuring the letters be removed?

Debora

kyratango and SSlava like this.
  3. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

On one side there are stones, on the other there are no stones, and the pattern in the center is different. Well, I was told that the cross is at least 120-150 years old, perhaps more. The seller said that it was definitely old. But I don't know anything about dates.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not seeing old. How are the "stones" affixed? Are they inset or glued on?

Debora

Any Jewelry, kyratango and SSlava like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You called this cross a crucifix in your title - which it is not because there is no body of Christ on it. It's possible that the hole would have held such, but it would have required 2 holes I think.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and SSlava like this.
  6. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Do you think it's modern? Well, the seller assured that the cross is at least 120-150 years old. Well, I had pieces from that time, the metal might look the same, even the pieces from the 18th century are not much darker. Styling is important here. And I don't understand anything here. It looks like the stones are somehow glued into the enamel or fused into the enamel.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like someone tried to repair it with lead solder and ruined it.

Boland, kyratango and SSlava like this.
  8. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like it had a rough life, but it's nowhere near 100 years old based on the construction.

Boland, PepperAnna and kyratango like this.
  10. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Those 'jewels' sure look like they're affixed with some liquid adhesive...which can be fairly well seen under 3 of the four stones, in the last pic.

Also, note how the 'enamel' has flowed away from the lower end of the longest vertical bar.

There are some things to like about it, especially (for me) the copper work, and the joining of the 4 bars with the circular junction. Age is a real question, though!

11. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

@SSlava Unfortunately, I think your seller did not know what he/she was selling and was incorrect about the age. I believe your piece is a modern St. Benedict crucifix that has been modified. The figure of Jesus has been removed and the holes where the hands would have been are covered with fake gems. There is a gem over the hole for where the message INRI would have been. At the top, the loop has been removed and soldered over. There has been additional solder/goop placed over both sides of the medal to make it look old.

Here is a close up of what the St. Benedict medal looks like on both sides. Compare it to your item. You can see that it matches up with the letters and the picture on the back.

sbmedal.JPG

Crucifixes are for sale between $14.95 and $25.00 on multiple websites. Here is a picture of the modern unadulterated crucifix from a listing on the F.C. Ziegler Company website. And a picture of the back. And a picture I modified to show you what I think was done to yours (very crude- sorry, I don't have experience with drawing applications). Of course, Jesus would be completely removed. The yellow dot on the bottom part of the crucifix picture aligns with the hole on yours.

These wall hanging crucifixes can be purchased in different sizes and depending on the company who manufactured them, have slightly attributes.
    stb.JPG stbb.JPG mod stb.jpg

12. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is one of those learning times....

that thing is a mess.....

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hopefully it wasn’t very expensive!

PepperAnna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted