Featured CDV of John Stuart Mill - thoughts on condition?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Picked this up as part of a job lot... CDV of British MP and philosopher/liberalist John Stuart Mill. Taken c1865.

My question - there is damage in the form of 'spots' and I'm wondering if these have been acquired over time, or were there originally? It makes me wonder because other such CDV's on the internet show similar (but not exactly the same) dark flecks:
    http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...ohn-Stuart-Mill?LinkID=mp03080&role=sit&rNo=2
    https://historical.ha.com/itm/autog...ure-and-carte-de-visite-photo/a/6054-34590.s#

Also, if it's ok to ask, I'm wondering what would be the best way to sell it? I can see one or two of these CDVs on eBay but I'm not sure if they sell well on there? Or maybe the price is just too high!

Many thanks!

John Stuart Mill a small.jpg John Stuart Mill b small.jpg

John Stuart Mill close up.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, the comparison to the others is interesting. Some of the spots actually appear to be on all three photos, showing up in varying degrees of darkness. And some do not. Your CDV is trimmed at the corners and appears to be even more faded than the others (which are also faded).

I am not finding this exact CDV image on sale in eBay, either now or in recent sales. But I'm looking at the USA eBay and it might not include some things that are in the UK version.

It appears that the image was well known, as it was reproduced as engravings and other methods of illustration in newspapers and other places. Generally, the main issues you'll have in selling it would relate to the faded condition and the spotting that shows more prominently due to the fading. But some collectors do like buying 19th-century photos of well-known people. I wouldn't think this one would have a high value, but should be sellable (if that's a word).

3. Batman_2000

Thanks Fig :). The pattern of the spots is intriguing, isn't it? Yes, it is quite faded, but I wonder if the online versions have had their contrast tweaked a little - I left the above images as close to the actual cdv as I could.

I can't find a sale value for this particular card either (it's not on eBay UK). I might put it up for auction and start it off at the lowest amount I'd accept. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it!!! :happy:

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'Salable' :)

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks like you can join Heritage Auctions for FREE and find out what that cdv sold for.............

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  6. Batman_2000

Thanks... am I allowed to say how much it went for?! It includes the signature as well though. The actual CDV looks in about the same condition as the one above. Food for thought!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Batman_2000

Both work well for me! :D

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

I don't see why not.....we're all a curious bunch of bananas!!!!!:joyful::joyful::smuggrin:

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Don't see why not.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  10. Batman_2000

It went for $179. But as I said, it has the signature too. And it was 2011, so not too recent.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Batman_2000

Haha, me too! Just wasn't sure because they hide the price behind a wall of questions etc. :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Sooooo, give it your best shot.....must be fewer of them out there by now!!!!!

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, saleable is the more common spelling but salable is also correct.

Saleable and Sellable are both recognized by the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since the 16th century. There are more permutations in their definitions of "saleable," though. The most appropriate to this discussion for "saleable" is "Capable of being sold; fit for sale; commanding an easy or ready sale." First reported use was from 1530.

Their definition of "sellable" is: "That may be sold, saleable." First reported use was from 1561.

Anyway, they are synonymous and both used.

Draft saved Draft deleted