Cecile Johnson print on board?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mill Cove Treasures, May 6, 2018.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I'm cleaning out boxes of stuff from "dead relatives" and came across these. I know who Cecile Johnson is but I've never seen anything pasted to board like this. Were these meant to be used as place mats or to be framed? Approximately 15" x 12".

I assumed these were probably sold as souvenirs in Bermuda but could not find anything. Searching Ruth Gibbons didn't help. I know these have minimal value but the construction peeked my curiosity. P1340409pdRS.jpg P1340411ps1RS.jpg P1340415psrs.jpg P1340417ps1RS.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Placemats. Like the Pimpernel ones. Attention: honeymooners. :)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

That's what I thought at first but the board is actual wood and I've never seen the Pimpernel type made of wood, only pressed board or fiber.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe someone went on their honeymoon, took the placemats or bought them, and framed them as mementos when they got back????? Unless they're originals........

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Since the label is attached to the wood, I think this is how they came.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen some artists mount their works like this. Usually on mat board but occasionally on wood. The works are, then, ready for framing and are self-matted. It is not ideal from an archival viewpoint but it is what it is. These could, consequently, be originals. I see in this case there is a notation, "created by Ruth Gibbons" so perhaps mounted by a second party.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. That makes sense that it was done to look like a mat. Real wood did not seem like a great choice for place mats since it would absorb anything that spilled. At first I thought these were original but after enlarging a close-up, I can see the tiny dots but only in the lighter areas.

Draft saved Draft deleted