Celery vase- flint glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Cheryl Tate, May 16, 2019.

?

Any info. On this celery vase

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Year made

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Flint glass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

I’m looking for any information on this particular item. I have found several pieces similar to it on eBay but nothing with the exact pattern and the prices vary from 25 to 3 to 400. Anyone with information that can help me identify what year make and model this was made would greatly be appreciated.

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

We'll need an image...

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

Thank you Very much for your research. I’m interested in selling it you wouldn’t happen to know what would be a decent price to list it for? I’m just so happy to finally have found the pattern and appreciate your time.

judy likes this.
  6. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

It's not worth very much today.

judy likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

EAPG is a down market right now and Bellaire does not appear to be an exception. If selling at auction I'd start at $29.99 just in case there is someone out there waiting for it. If it failed to attract a bid I'd list it on a buy-it-now for $29.99. If it failed to sell after a month or two I'd lower it by $10 and let it ride for about a year. Then I'd drop it again by another $5 or do a whole new listing at $14.99 All this is my own opinion and depends a lot on how quickly you want to sell. Also dependent upon condition. I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with it beyond minor shelf wear.
    Don

pearlsnblume, Houseful and judy like this.
  8. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

Good advice

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

Good advice and judging from what I see on eBay you’ve hit the nail on the head but at least I know how to list it. And who knows maybe someone out there is looking for the specific piece. Everyone’s been a great help and I have enjoyed this site tremendously. Thank you for your help. Cheryl

pearlsnblume, judy and dgbjwc like this.
  10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I notice that you are calling this "flint glass" which it is not. Im the USA flint is used to refer to glass with lead content in the formula which this does not. Makers called colorless glass crystal which caused the confusion for todays collectors as the EU calls glass with lead content crystal. The sure way to check is with a short wave UV light. If I were you I would use colorless or clear in the description and not mention flint.

pearlsnblume, judy and gregsglass like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thank you George for your explanation. I am getting tired of trying to explain the difference between flint glass and soda glass.
    greg

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  12. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

13. Cheryl Tate

Cheryl Tate New Member

We took a uv light to it bc we were told that was the sure way to find out if it was flint glass and it turned greenish under the light. We also, did it with the oil whale burner that started the whole discussion which had a greenish hue too. Was exactly is flint glass?

14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

aaroncab likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And just to stir the pot, the term soda glass is also used for the type of bubbly wares that Biot France makes.

judy likes this.
  16. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Sand, about 1/2 of all glass has some iron in it. The iron causes the glass to have a green color to it, (Think of fruit jars) Manganese removes the green of iron making the glass water white.

Flint glass is/was half sand, half Lead oxide. During the Civil War, the price of lead increased in cost by about 500%. In 1863-4, Wm Leighton developed a formula for glass using instead of Lead Oxide, bicarbonate of soda. Glass made with this instead of Lead oxide, has come to be called lime glass.
    Flint glass mostly reflects the black light, perhaps having a slight blue color. Lime glass exhibits a pale green under black light.

judy likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nazeing Glass here have come up with a new formula which gives glass with the colour and clarity of lead crystal, sans plomb.

judy likes this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Well I have learned a lot from this thread I did not know. This is why I love this place.

judy and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted