Central American? Mexican? large silver pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NaptownFTW, Aug 1, 2020.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I think you got it! :facepalm:

I thought Kosmochlor was the other name of Maw sit sit and in fact, it is the black component in it!
    from there:
    https://geology.com/gemstones/maw-sit-sit/
    Maw sit sit: "Maw sit sit is not a jade. Instead, it is a metamorphic rock composed mainly of kosmochlor, clinochlore, chromian jadeite, and albite, with small amounts of eckermannite, chromite and other minerals."
    [​IMG]

Kosmochlor:
    from there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmochlor
    Kosmochlor is a rare chromium sodium clinopyroxene with the chemical formula NaCr3+Si2O6.

The name is from German kosmisch, for its occurrence in meteorites, and the Greek chlor, for green.[3] It was first reported in 1897 from the Toluca meteorite, Jiquipilco, Mexico.[1]

It occurs as a major constituent of some jadeitites and as an accessory mineral of some iron meteorites. Associated minerals include cliftonite (graphite), chromian diopside, troilite at Toluca; daubreelite, krinovite, roedderite, high albite, richterite, chromite (Canyon Diablo); and jadeite, chromite and chlorite (Burma).[2]

Bronwen, reader and i need help like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think that’s it too but I don’t think the stone should be identified as that without professional confirmation. That’s just my opinion and I’m really conservative on how people list stuff. I don’t see the piece as warranting money for a gemologist so if a couple of pictures to mineralogy museum departments don’t yield a definitive answer and the piece is being sold my opinion is that it should be sold as coral and green stone.

Bronwen, kyratango and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You may also want to double check the silver content, before advertising as something specifically.

Bronwen, reader and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted