Ceramic cat stamped, "Germany"

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone recognizes a German maker for this little guy. I usually associate "Germany" stamps in a font like this with pieces from the earlier part of the first half of the 20th century --could this be that old? (1900-20's?) The rest of the piece does not stylistically look that old to me, curious what you all think. Thanks.

acat1.jpg acat2.jpg acat3.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess that thus was in the nature of a fairing. It might have been cottage industry production. I would also guess a decade either side if 1900, give or take, more or less, vaguely approximate, sort of.

It is charming.

Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks for the date estimate. Every piece I've ever had with that kind of Germany stamp has been early 1900's, glad to have a 2nd set of eyes on this.

What does "in the nature of a fairing" mean?

It's just a little guy. Even more intriguing if it's over 100 yrs. old. :cat:

aacat.jpg

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Fairings were little doodads and novelties of the sort you might buy or win at a fair.

yourturntoloveit and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Ah ha! Yes, a prize from a fair could easily be what this is. New word for me: "Fairing". Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted