Ceramic elephants

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alyson, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Alyson

Alyson New Member

My husband's mother recently passed and we inherited her mother's ceramic elephants. We know the were purchased overseas while they were in the military, but we don't know what country or what year. My husband says he thinks they had them before he was born, so pre 1974. We just want to know the history (where they were made, possible age) on them as they are of great sentimental value, even if they aren't of any actual monetary value.

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Chinese. Still made, were and are sold as decorator pieces.They are stands. Yours could be anything from the 1960s onwards, although it looks better made than some of the recent ones. Not huge value, but charming.

Debora and judy like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Alyson !

So far just one picture posted. Do you have a pair of them?

This one looks very nice. I know nothing about these.

4. Alyson

Alyson New Member

This makes sense, as all the images I could find online were more recently made and didn't look as well done as these pieces. The Grandparents were stationed in Turkey in the 60's so maybe purchased them there.

Figtree3 there are two of them, a matched set and in pristine condition. I really like them as they are unusual and good conversation pieces for sure!

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I've seen them listed as garden seats.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember them being sold in Chinatown in NYC back in the 1970s. There were so many wonderful things being sold back then. I bought one to hold my Ming tree.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

These decorative pieces are making a strong comeback with the OP's age group. Chinoiserie, bamboo or cane cut, foo dogs, blue and white (whether antique, vintage, or quite recent) pottery, garden seats - all these are very popular with what I call the Pottery Barn Crowd. Instagram is full of "flash sales" for this type of merchandise. And it sells.

dgbjwc and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted