Ceramic Jug, no idea where made or how old

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This has had me at a loss. I believe the crazing to be genuine. I can feel a seam at the front and back so think it made in two halves. It's handpainted and I thought the handle interesting and the helmet shape of the whole jug. 9 ins high by 5 ins wide. Hope someone has seen something similar somewhere. Thanks. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well, it is a pretty pitcher.
    However, there is something off with it. Can't decide if it is the design, the color, the handle with polka dots, the little flowers.

Does it feel light for its size?
    I'm thinking this might be a newer piece made to look old.

Not an expert, so wait for other comments.

3. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

The handle is reminiscent of handles on some Chinese export items, tho yours is less graceful than what I've seen.
    But, I can't go any further than that.

4. Houseful

I agree, there's something odd there. I don't know if the weight is off, I know I wouldn't trust picking it up by the handle if it were full of liquid.
    Could be that those who counterfeit are getting better at the crazing.
    I can't see any signs of wear either.
    Thanks

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. Houseful

The handle is clumsily done. Think now on reflection it may be a newish piece made to look old. I'll wait and see if more appear on the market from the possible boatload!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted