Ceramic Shard, Fairfax, Va, Nassau Pattern, Mayer China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Max & Tucker, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Max & Tucker

Max & Tucker Member

Hello,

I have a ceramic shard I found in the woods. I've attached a photo of the back stamp. I was hoping someone could help me date it. My research so far has indicated that it is probably 1920's. Thanks for any help. This is my first post so if I am in the wrong forum, I apologize.

All the best.

Attached Files:

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're in the right place!

Made for "Horn and Hardart" means this was used in an "automat" - are you familiar with the term?

3. Bakersgma

In Lehner's Encyclopedia of US Marks, it is said that the date code for Mayer China uses the last 2 digits of the printed number underneath to designate the year in which the china was produced. Which in your case would be 1934.

4. Max & Tucker

Max & Tucker Member

Yes, I know they operated in Philly and New York beginning in 1902. This piece was found in Fairfax county, Virginia near the site of a progressive era farm program for unwed mothers from the early 1900's to the 1960's.

5. Max & Tucker

Max & Tucker Member

That's perfect. Thank you so much!

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

8. Max & Tucker

Max & Tucker Member

9. Bronwen

[​IMG]

Maybe H&H donated tableware when it got too worn/damaged to use in the restaurant? Can't decide whether the etsy number starts with 5 & yours with 6 (sequential production runs?) or it's the same number, one less complete.

antidiem likes this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like restaurant ware.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Exactly, Anti!

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  12. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

13. kaudet