Featured Chair identification and value

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Donna Stagliano, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Donna Stagliano

Donna Stagliano New Member

These chairs were in my grandparents home. We are in the process of selling the house and wish to find a value for these 2 chairs.

Thank you for looking !
    Donna IMG_4877.JPEG IMG_4876.JPEG IMG_4919.JPEG IMG_4919.JPEG IMG_4877.JPEG IMG_4876.JPEG IMG_4919.JPEG IMG_4877.JPEG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  3. Donna Stagliano

Thank you, any information would be helpful ! This is my first post.

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's the weekend.....so come back often and see what our members dig up....

funky chairs !!!

Trina Jenkins and i need help like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Fabulous chairs! Sorry no help. Just admiring.

i need help likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It is antique European Empire furniture.

The cost of wood is escalating, at some point, old brown wood furniture like this will be worth more.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not sure where the O.P. is located, but these appear to be 1890s Renaissance/Empire Revival pieces, and high end at that. In the U.S. one would expect to see these from a furniture maker like Karpen in Chicago or Horner in New York.

Value is of course dependent on location. In my part of the U.S. I'd expect to see these go towards the higher end at auction, somewhere around $400-$500 each, and maybe more on a good day.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The rocker however, needs a decent repair! BUT a VERY NEAT PAIR of chairs!!!

IMG_4877.jpg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  9. antidiem

Thanks, Aquitaine, I doubt that's a crack, probably more a mar (this furniture was so strong and supple!) but either way, OP should say so if the buyer isn't in person. I didn't notice it.

The reason I'm posting - is I want to point out the hand carved "pattern" on the side of the chair. The color of gold upholstery is very similar to what would have been the original colored velvet fabric and the green may very well be the original fabric. It's a lovely pair.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Ghopper but think the valuation high for my neck of the woods. Maybe at a big city auction but, selling here locally in my semi-rural Midwest location, would be lucky to get half that. Where and how selling makes a big difference.

11. antidiem

Agreed. But with the cost of wood rising, interest in old wood furniture is bound to follow..

In my southern New Orleans area, these may be worth the 500$ ea price, but I suggest to only sell them as a pair. Can start price at a thousand and can always go down. European Empire furniture has always been very popular in the south.

Ghopper1924 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I believe the wood is mahogany, possibly dyed with the infamous "turkey red" stain. Winged lions are a common motif in Empire style furnishings....often in ormulu or very highly carved , multi-dimensional figures. I would put your barrel chair and rocker set as mid-grade as far as carving and workmanship. I wonder if they might not be a bit earlier than Ghopper's estimate of 1890s, simply because they retain some of the heaviness of the pillar-and scroll types...but probably no earlier than 1850s. If you Google "Empire winged lion furniture" you can compare the difference in design elements and craftsmanship which comprise the higher-end types.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Love that rocker !

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. Donna Stagliano

Thank you everyone. I am doing some research based on all of your wonderful suggestions. Hopefully soon we can find the best way to rehome these. We have a few other pieces so I will probably post them soon. There was a Chippendale Partner desk ( or at least Chippendale style } which I am keeping and having restored.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted