Chair identification help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by HappyYogi, Nov 4, 2018.

1. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

1D6C82AD-A064-48A4-A209-109ADD8E371E.jpeg Hello; I’m new here.

I’m hoping that one of you kind people will be able to help me identify the age of this chair, or any other information would be helpful. I’ve never seen anything like it, and it’s a beauty.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

It is a beauty and I can not wait to hear the insight of those who are very knowledgeable have to say.

Welcome Happy Yogi.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome -
    Using the Full Image will allow people with phones to see your picture. If you go back to edit, More Options, Full Image that will enlarge your picture.

Looks English, maybe 1920-30. Hard to tell looking down.
    If you can take a picture looking straight at the chair, that might help others. Click Full Image when loading your picture.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Happy Yogi! :)
    As Cluttered said check Full size for all images. I have done the first one, but you should add more photos, showing joinings and underneath.
    Removed, dup. Photo.

James Conrad likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Happy Yogi. Nice chair.

6. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Thanks for the tip - I’ve changed the settings. Daylight has failed today, but tomorrow I’ll take the chair outside and take some better pictures. It’s good news that think it’s 1920s-30s; I’m furnishing a flat in a Georgian house in a shoestring, so my choice is limited. I’m glad I’ve found a piece with some real age.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with clutteredcloset but possibly just a tad older … Edwardian?

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes, now that I can see the larger picture, I think you are right.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Good morning everyone. I've been cleaning up the chair and I also took off the modern fabric cover that has been stapled in place some years ago. I was over the moon to discover this fabulous yellow brocade underneath!

There has also been a significant 'fix' on one arm. image2.jpeg image1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e61.jpeg IMG_6956.jpeg IMG_6958.jpeg IMG_6957.jpeg

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and please do let me know if any other photos would help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful chair in the first photos, but it looks really 'glorious' now. What a difference an appropriate fabric can make.
    And a clean.;)

judy, yourturntoloveit and HappyYogi like this.
  11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Very nicely done.

judy and HappyYogi like this.
  12. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Happy Yogi. Nice job on the chair. Congrats.

HappyYogi and i need help like this.
  13. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mid to late 19th C Gothic Revival mahogany. I suspect that's a removals label, rather than a retailer, but can you get a more straight on photo? It's not a 20s or 30s label, anyhow.

Base has had a sightly later cover put on underneath, I think, and the chair has been redone with that yellow. The yellow is lovely - I don't think it's original, might have been velvet or even leather. The innards would be a clue, but I'd not touch that upholstery, frankly.

HappyYogi, Piece Dove and i need help like this.
  15. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

After looking at the entire post, I have to agree with Ownedbybear, 150% regarding the fabric.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: ;)

Love that chair, you did very good on the shoe string. It could be your calling :cool:

HappyYogi likes this.
  16. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and expertise, it’s been fascinating to read!

17. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and expertise, it’s been fascinating to read!

i need help likes this.
  18. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

Thanks for your expertise Ownedbybear; I was hoping for gothic revival and as it’s going into an early Victorian house, it would be very fitting. As for the label, that’s as straight as I could get it - the label itself is stuck in the seat recess, and was too big for it to lay flat.

i need help likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a nice find, with that upholstery, I think it will look splendid. If you're in that neck of the woods, there's some decent second hand shops in Southsea.

i need help likes this.
  20. HappyYogi

HappyYogi New Member

I'm in deepest darkest Lincolnshire! It's quite wonderful to have found something that was being offered as a 'shabby chic' project and has some real age to it. Thank you so much for your help.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted