Featured Chairs identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marzena, May 15, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

Hello, I've bought this pair for almost nothing some time ago, and although they have marks, I couldn't identify them, maybe you will be able to tell me more about, please. I suppose they are edwardian, and this first is a smaller, so it is probably a bedroom chair. 20190329_115407_compress25.jpg 20190329_115452_compress45.jpg 20190329_115001_compress59.jpg 20190329_114847_compress37.jpg 20190329_114807_compress20.jpg

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Glorious art nouveau style! From the design alone, I'd guess 1890s-1910s.

3. Marzena

I fall in love in their pure line immediately. And no one was interested, probably because they need some restoration, so I took them for almost nothing -). Thank you!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Art Nouveau, indeed and that's William Morris for Liberty fabric on the first one. Whatever you do, preserve it, do NOT replace that cloth. Pretty delicate Edwardian chair and absolutely typical of the period.

Second one might well be earlier, it looks Georgian.

5. Marzena

I completely agree with you about upholstery, i thought about it at the beginning, but i decided, that I don't want to vanish the history from old furnitures, this is their charm. I only, very carefully, consider a protection using Renaissance Wax, but I still try to learn more about.

scoutshouse, Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

7. Marzena

Thanks! I have to say, that I love collecting. There is always something new to know, so, you have to learn more and more about. And it seems to be neverending -)

Ghopper1924, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that art nouveau fabric is out of period (and out of scale) for your charming Edwardian chair. And... gentle correction. While Ianthe is a "signature" Liberty print, it was created in 1900 by R. Beauclair, not William Morris. I wouldn't assume it was original to the chair as it's a design that's gone in and out of fashion over the years.

https://www.libertylondon.com/uk/ianthe-tana-lawn-cotton-000523172.html

Debora

Figtree3, Fid, Ghopper1924 and 4 others like this.
  9. Marzena

Thank you, it's good to learn something new again ). Anyway, the pattern fitted perfectly to the construction of the chair ( of course in my eyes)))

10. Ownedbybear

You're right on the print, I'd forgotten that. It's not out of period, tho', that first chair could easily be up to WW1.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I should have been clearer. I meant design period. The design of your chair is not art nouveau.

Debora

Ghopper1924, scoutshouse and Marzena like this.
  12. Marzena

What period it would be then? I've seen lots of images, 19 th and early 20th furniture catalogs and nothing, i am dumb .

Ghopper1924 and scoutshouse like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not the furniture expert but -- to my eye -- it does appear to be Edwardian as you identified it in your initial post. If you do an internet image search for "inlaid Edwardian side chair" similars will come up.

Debora

Figtree3, Marzena and scoutshouse like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. Ownedbybear

Let's clarify. ;) First one is Edwardian in style and date with Art Nouveau fabric. Look for parquetry inlay occasional or side chair as a term, also swagged with cameo/plaque for the decoration.

Second one may well be Georgian. My brain isn't working, I've forgotten the term for those ovals.

Do please have a CLOSE look at the decoration, though. Sometimes, it was painted not inlaid.

I think both are English.

Figtree3, Marzena and Ghopper1924 like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Ellipse? Ovalo?

Marzena likes this.
  17. Marzena

Thank you all very, very much for your substantive comments! Both chairs' ornaments are inlaid indeed.
    20190516_063946_compress0.jpg 20190516_063848_compress93.jpg 20190516_063907_compress77.jpg
    Now, I think that it will be easier to find the B mark with this knowledge, it's a great place! Have a good day good people :)

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted