Featured Chalcedony beads-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I posted these on the finds thread. I thought someone put a 14k clasp on glass beads, but upon closer inspection, I realized they were chalcedony. Tested the spacers, coming up in the tourmaline category, guessing white tourmaline.
    What do you think as to age, quality, and value? These are a bit over 20 inches long.some are more translucent blue. Some are more opaque white. I absolutely love this piece. Thanks for your help.
    Lots of pics- first, in sunlight, second in compete shade outdoors. 20220619_174955.jpg

20220619_175227.jpg
    Indoors on a pile of other jewelry for comparison.
    20220619_180850.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm doubtful about tourmaline. I love the mineral for its many colors but can't recall ever seeing it in white/colorless. Had to Google to be reassured it actually exists. It must be a bit of a rarity. Unlike black tourmaline (schorl), can't quite imagine the white being used for spacers. Could it be white topaz?

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The beads are pretty close to moonstone (which is a chalcedony), often early moonstone was a milky white colour and not the obvious blue which is more common from the early 20th century onwards. Some of those beads look chatoyant so would certainly count.

Agree with @Bronwen they are not going to be clear tourmaline, it's rare and expensive and not really suited to that shape or role. They are possibly YAG or GGG (man made clear garnet) if they are testing fairly low on the presidium meter.

Figtree3, Bronwen, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have said moonstone.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, and I thought moonstone at first too, but chalcedony can be this lovely milky white.
    Moonstone is a feldspar, a bit lower on the Mohs scale, so it wouldn't test as chalcedony.
    Absolutely. That is why it was called moonstone in the first place. They didn't mean 'once in a blue moon'.:playful:

Figtree3, Bronwen, stracci and 3 others like this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I actually have a white tourmaline ring, 10k, sold as costume. Sparkles like crazy. This hits square in the tourmaline section on the Presidium....not garnet, not white sapphire, not white topaz, not glass...this is definitely chalcedony, I have another necklace with a stone just like the better blue translucent ones.

Figtree3, Bronwen, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Nice find, and lovely piece. I would recommend taking it to a trusted jeweler to have the stones reviewed and authenticated. Very much worth the small investment on something like this :)

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think you may be mis-interpreting the meter, the labels above the black bar (garnet, tourmaline, iolite) suggest all these gems will normally fall in the range of that black bar. How high or low in that bar depends on many factors, and any of them could be at either end of the bar, middle doesn't mean tourmaline, it could be anywhere in the range. Also these presidium meters are very unreliable so they only give a rough guide, you need other tools to make a positive diagnosis. They are pretty good at finding ruby, sapphire and for the most part topaz, but outside this I don't trust it at all as it's often wrong.

For example the size of the gem often matters, larger gems usually test higher as they have more initial thermal inertia. Quartz also tests differently depending on the axis, the same stone can give quite different results depending on the axis you test. The surface finish also affects results with better polish giving a higher result compared to a rougher finish.

Figtree3, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Doh, brain glitch, of course!

Absolutely, but for some reason people seem to be associating moonstone with the strong blue tint now, which used to be the very rare examples. I blame opalite for messing up perception!

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And people not having seen antique moonstone jewellery.;)

Bronwen and Ce BCA like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes, I know the middle reading wouldn't be the actual material...I don't think it's white tourmaline because of the lack of sparkle. My initial thoughts were quartz/rock crystal. What do you think it could be?

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are single cut stones,even diamonds would have very little sparkle.

Figtree3, Marko and Bronwen like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Quartz tests higher than tourmaline.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes....it's not testing higher than the tourmaline category...so I am stumped.

Draft saved Draft deleted