Featured chalice estate sale find

Discussion in 'Silver' started by coreya, Jul 30, 2016.

1. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

found this at an estate sale, looked terrible, was all black with tarnish and all the filigree was filled in with old polish. Got it for 5 bucks. Any idea of maker? love the fine filigree and the eilat stones. BTW the chalice is straight its yours truly that can't hold the camera straight. (weight is 78.6 grams)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If the 925 means .925% silver content then for 5 bucks you made a nice score. Figure take away for the possible weight of the stones and you will probably have around 40$ worth of silver alone!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Kiddush cup.

Debora

komokwa and afantiques like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Made it straight for you.

DSCN3825_zps6ujzjx35.jpg

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll give you $6 for it right here and now!

That's a very nice piece. A terrific buy!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave for the picture correction! I always look for silver while out garage sailing and once in awhile come across something like this. Mostly I get necklaces and pendants and such but when you pick them up for pennies on the dollar it makes sense (have pounds of the stuff). This piece is way to nice to melt so might keep it and it will go with a silver menorah I picked up awhile back (8 bucks). I'm still hoping someone can recognize the maker.

[​IMG]
    or a flask at goodwill for 60.00
    [​IMG]

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The cup is very very nice.
    Be advised that the stones may........may......be worth more than the silver !

The menorah is a delight....no pun intended...also !!

As a rule of thumb...the heavier they are the older they are.

I've seen some of the imported items they are making now.....& you'd think by the weight that silver......was gold !!!

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lovely chalice!!!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

YUMMY chalice!!!!!!!!!

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I want that flask !

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The cup is a Kiddush or Elijah's cup as noted - used at Passover to hold wine in case the prophet happens to finally show up. He stands the families up every year. :) The stones are a semiprecious chrysocolla variant called Eilat. It gets called the Stone of Israel and maybe Solomon's Stone too, since it came out of deposits in his copper mines. It's not worth a ton... now, but the mine is played out. That is a NICE cup. If you sell it, don't scrap it; odds are quite good you'll be shipping it back to Israel for a fat profit. Israelis love buying back their old stuff. Or older anyway; nothing marked Israel is a technical antique. Sterling menorahs ... list in October and watch the fur fly!

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info, I'm tempted to hang on to them though. (have to wait to see how high my health insurance from the city goes in the next couple months, 1400 month now :rage:)

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ack. You could make a real dent in a month's payment, for certain. Retail prices on pieces like that can run over $1000 each. No clue what they'd get at auction. If they were mine I might consign them at a local high end jeweler who handles estate pieces. We have a big enough Jewish population with money to make it a good idea. No dealing with Ebay that way, and once you consign, security is the store's problem.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted