Chandelier

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LindaH, Nov 12, 2016.

1. LindaH

LindaH New Member

Hi Friends,
    I am trying to find out more about the chandelier that came in the home we bought a few years ago. Any one recognize something like this? Where would I look on it to find the manufacturer? Age? Worth?
    Thanks,
    LindaH 20161111_160952.jpg

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wait for others though it looks incredibly common to me and not old.
    Info is probably inside the top mount if any though clear photos may lead to someone recognizing it.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont think its terribly old either,but I will say chandeliers,especially pretty ones like this,are expensive as heck. Even used they go for a couple of hundred,I oughta know,Ive been shopping for one for a few years now!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    Tell me. I bought a wonderful over the top gaudy 31 light chandelier, 5ft tall and 6ft wide. All crystal no plastic parts. Paid a thousand for it in 1982 Moved into a small 450 sq ft condo in 1990. Chandelier sold for 475 dollars. At the same time I bought a 18 armed brass one, having sold the electrical parts back to the guy I bought it from. I used real candles in it. Paid 425 bucks sold it for 1100 dollars. Go figure. The glass one used to take 8 hrs to clean it.
    I miss both of them very much.
    greg

KingofThings and antidiem like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's a brilliant spray over here for cleaning chandeliers, which means you don't have to take the damn things down. That looks 1950s to me.

afantiques and KingofThings like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's lovely and I think it's 1950s too.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call it an electrolier, since it has electric bulbs.

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi OBB,
    I tried the spray on the chandelier. It did a wonderful job BUT living in Brooklyn and the traffic plus all the cigarette and other smoke it still needed a take down cleaning. Over one hundred Marie Therese 4'' prisms and the 12" high chimneys and my partners OCD. God I loved that light.
    greg

9. LindaH

LindaH New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. While it is a pretty chandelier, it's a little too fancy for my home.... trying to come up with a price and you all have been helpful.
    LindaH

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Price depends upon your area, your venue, your desire to sell it off quickly or not, all kinds of factors go into pricing. You can check the "solds" on ebay, check the competition's prices, check Craigslist, peek into your local antique "malls" and perhaps you can call them first to see if they have any chandeliers on hand and the price(s).

Consignment shops and auction houses are probably the last places I would go with this. Those set a start price way too low in my area.

LindaH and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted