Featured Charles Dickens Ivy Green

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I think this copy might be missing pages. The string is missing. It does not have a publishing date. Illustrated by Clara Goodyear with front piece by E. H. Garrett, published by Estes and Lauriat Boston.

I found an 1880 edition on Abebooks with one photograph. There was another on Worthpoint dated 1878 but it did not have the same black pages or the pages were not shown. It had a page with an illustration that may be missing from my copy or perhaps my copy didn't have it. ?

I'm stuck. Any idea when this was published and if it is missing pages? If anyone has a Worthpoint membership, can you see how much this sold for? Thank you!

Abebooks link

http://www.biblio.com/book/ivy-gree...feed-details&gclid=CMmkq6Gn1ckCFdEYHwodvrME5g

Worthpoint:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ivy-green-charles-dickens-1884-estes-533987182

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely lovely book.

For any lover of books this would be a feast for mind and eye and soul with just the parts you have shown.

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it would appeal to buyers if something was missing.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

LOVE IT!
    But alas, no clue.

6. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful. I have no information but thanks for sharing.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

8. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, its' lovely.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The Worthpoint copy looks similar to yours because it has the illustrations by Clara Goodyear. In that listing says it has copyright date 1878 but says it was published in 1884. Since yours might be somewhat different it may have a different publication date.

The one you found on biblio doesn't indicate it has the Clara Goodyear illustrations so is probably a different edition.

There is also this different, later version that is currently listed on eBay. Different publisher and doesn't have the Goodyear illustrations:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charles-Dic...Happy-Christmas-envelope-c-1900-/291582083109

10. Figtree3

11. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you so much Fig! I had found one of those google links but a phone call side tracked me and I never went back. "senior moment". Thank you for posting it.

The covers are much smaller than page. The corners aren't even, the right side is a bit choppy so it appears that someone cut these down. I posted a photograph below. I also photographed the illustrations again with some natural light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Figtree3

Just curious, Mill Cove -- did you list this one at Christmas? And if so, did it sell? It is a pretty thing.

13. Mill Cove Treasures

I haven't listed it yet. Things got so hectic here with the holidays and trying to catch up after that month long illness. Now I have to find it again.

cxgirl likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Okay, thanks!

15. Mill Cove Treasures

I found it! I also found the original cover page with a copyright date of 1884. There is a ghost image on the copyright page of a woman holding ivy. I thought this was an illustration from another page that transferred the ghostly image, however, after putting the pages in order, I now think it was done intentionally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:)! I do Love it when things get tidied up!

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. yourturntoloveit

Whether the image was "printed" there or is a "transfer image" from an item placed in the book, to me it adds to the book. The "faint/pale" (almost "spectre") quality of the image rather grabs at one's heartstrings, doesn't it?

What a lovely book you have (as I felt from the time you first shared it with us).

Thank you so much for bringing us up to date on the book.

Bakersgma likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Wild guess here - many books from this era had an engraving in that location. There would have been a piece of tissue over the image. I'm guessing also that someone removed it because it was pretty. Could she be holding a bunch of ivy in her raised hand?

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There is a Dickens Society founded in 1970, but The Dickens Fellowship founded in 1902. I think you could contact them and they probably have information about your book. If you're looking to sell it, those are key people who might be interested in buying it.

http://www.dickensfellowship.org/

20. yourturntoloveit

Bev, I'd bet my bottom dollar you are correct in your thinking. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted