Cheap diamond testers on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Carolinej, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

I have been looking at diamond testers. There are lots on Ebay for less than £10. The reviews seem to be mixed.

Does anyone have a diamond tester, and can you give me any advice. Is it a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

judy likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They are really all fairly similar. I don't see a reason to pay more for a name brand in them.

judy and Carolinej like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Never mind that....just send me your diamonds & I'll test them for you !

( they're likely to all be paste....so you really wouldn't want them back !!! )

Heeheeheehee !!!!!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Xristina, judy and Carolinej like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have had one called Diamond Beam for 20 years. I think it cost about 30 quid and works fine. They all need a steady hand to use, notably on very small diamonds.

Mixed reviews may be down to user incompetence.

5. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Thanks. I was hoping someone would say that :smug:

6. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Oh, OK. If you really think so :hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  7. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Thanks :) Looks like a cheaper one makes sense. There seems to be a selection of the same model on Ebay from £8ish to £23ish. I think I'll check out who is most likely to have reliable delivery.

8. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Hey, how come you can get an English mood and I'can't get a Welsh?:confused: lol

9. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

A Diamond Beam I went for 100 EUR on eBay Germany yesterday, with three people bidding 67 EUR or more. Can anyone say why?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Diamanten-D...-Pruefgeraet-TRI-Diamond-Beam-I-/174750997044

That model must be at least 20 years old now, probably 25+ judging by the note above. (I found a manual online for a later Diamond Beam dated 2005.)

The eBay example appeared to be in great shape and came complete with box, bag and instructions. Have these become interesting because of age, or are they particularly good?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted