Cherub book ends or fireplace for Logs?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by MarcusE, Mar 27, 2020.

1. MarcusE

MarcusE Active Member

cherub holder.jpg I have a pair of these in excellent condition. What are they? 12 inches by 12 inches, maybe 18 x 18

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Hello,
    On quick observation, I am not understanding you giving squared dimensions on a clearly rectangular object.:rolleyes: Could you provide information such as what material they are made from? And, if they are 12 or 18" tall, that is pretty large. They would make neat bookends, if the cherub is made of metal so the fingers would not break off. But, if the feet stick out farther than the base...I am not so sure of that.
    I would presume them to be placed ON the mantle, as opposed to on the floor to hold firewood, only because it seems like the piece would get roughed up pretty quickly.
    Cannot wait until we get more pictures!

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  3. MarcusE

MarcusE Active Member

Actually, we placed it on the mantle for the picture. I believe they were on the fireplace floor. I am going by memory but I believe they were about 12-18 inches wide as well as tall. They were clearly metallic in nature. I am going by the picture from last week and memory. I wasn't present for all the pictures as there were different rooms going on at the time.

4. MarcusE

MarcusE Active Member

5. MarcusE

MarcusE Active Member

I found another shot: another.jpg

6. MarcusE

MarcusE Active Member

And one more: and another.jpg

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see any way that these (I assume there is a pair?) would hold up logs in a fireplace without additional pieces that are not present. Was it a purely ornamental fireplace (no actual fire even built in it?) I am also doubtful about it's use as a book end.

It might be best to wait to ask more questions about this until you can get info from whoever actually took the pictures.

8. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I don't remember the term but they look like the adornments that would go with a clock?

verybrad likes this.
  9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Garniture
    A clock garniture usually consists of a mantel clock together with two or more matching but usually not identical side ornaments, usually made of bronze, gilt bronze, spelter or brass. The side ornaments are commonly covered or uncovered urns, candelabra, vases, tazze or statuary, that are more decorative than practical.

verybrad and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What about holders for a fireplace surround?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is there a picture of the back?

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

cxgirl likes this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think garniture