Chest of drawers your help please ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jemma1979, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

Hi ,

I have recently come across these chest of drawers , somebody has done a terrible paint job on them ( I’m looking at how to remove )
    I was just wondering if anybody could give me a date or any other info on it please ?
    It has a sticker on the bottom that I have included a picture of .
    It comes in 3 pieces top, middle and bottom .
    It has safety double lever locks locks on all drawers .
    The handles have been painted over too (‍♀️) but are beautiful brass flowers .
    I have also attached a picture of the dove tail joints.
    Any help or advice of how to get the paint off too would be most gratefully received
    Thank you

2. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Looks like it's circa 1900. If it is nice hardwood like walnut, it would be worth restoring the finish - otherwise one could paint it to personal taste.

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  4. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect that for once, this will need a paint job, refinishing would be tricky. You need the gunky type of paint stripper, good gloves and lots of patience. I can't se the sticker?

6. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

Thank you , I’ve attached the sticker to the album can you see it now ?

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Ownedbybear

Interesting. The name is probably the customer who ordered it. I suspect it may be the George Street in Einburgh, as that's a major shopping one. It's a Laura Ashley now, might be worth digging around to find who it once was.

9. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

I looked and the Laura Ashleyname came up due to the address , I will look into this some more

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

I’ve just put one layer of gunk on and the paint was coming away as I brushed it on ! Much better than i expected

11. Ownedbybear

Ah, you might get away with refinishing it, then, rather than painting. Give it a good wipe off after, see how it looks. If the wood is OK, I'd use a decent bees wax. NOT the spray kind.

12. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

It looks like after a little research and an email this morning , the item was auctioned by Philips Auction house which was acquired by Lyon and Turnbull !!

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

That's a storage reference number then. How did you dig that out?

14. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

I’m good on google
    I emailed Lyon and Turnbull last night and they replied this morning confirming that they were at 51 George Street and it was probably under Phillips the auctioneers, I sent a picture of the sticker and they confirmed it was one if there’s , they are going to look and see if they can find any information !

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I'd love to see a photo once you've got the paint off. I'd probably use something like Stone's beeswax after that, unless it needs any colour putting back. I'd also try not to strip the handles too much.

16. Jemma1979

Jemma1979 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted