Chester drawer identity

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kimona11, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Kimona11

Kimona11 New Member

IMG_20210409_134312017~2.jpg IMG_20210409_131859585~4.jpg Can someone tell help me identity of the commodore /chester drawer pls. Maybe year, material and pricing!

I thought it's Dutch! It has 3 long drawers and 2 small ones! Quite a lot of space inside deep too!! One handle broken off.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Kimona, from just north of you.
    Why did you think this chest of drawers is Dutch, did you buy it in the Netherlands?
    Is there a label anywhere, on the back, or inside or underneath the drawers maybe?
    This kind of furniture is perfect for storage. It doesn't look older than mid 20th century to me, but I will leave details like that to the furniture people.

KSW, i need help and Kimona11 like this.
  3. Kimona11

Kimona11 New Member

Cool thanks

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Kimona11

Kimona11 New Member

Hi no label i lived in The Netherlands and bought it there yep. Ok will check underneath etc thanks for tip

KSW, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with a relatively late date on this. No earlier than the 50s and maybe as late as the 80s. It is typical of what we had here in the US during that time period as unfinished hardwood furniture. People would finish to their taste and the finishes are usually a bit sub-standard. That is kind of what I see on your piece due to the lack of luster. I don't know if they had unfinished furniture in the Netherlands or not but that is kind of what it looks like to me.

Pulls are Chippendale but the chest really has no distinctive styling otherwise that I can see. It is made from some kind of light colored hardwood with a walnut stain. Here in the States, it would most likely be birch or maple. I understand that in Europe a lot of beech is used as well. Could be any of these. Not a lot of value since this is just used furniture at this point.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted