Chinese armorial export urns marked with Russian stuff...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Sep 30, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I actually sold this pair several months ago on ebay but I really didnt know anything about them other than they look impressive. How does one go about authenticating this sort of stuff or at least what do you look for in the better stuff?

2.jpg 6.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Bottom photo please :)

kyratango likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Really Marie!:stop: This is not that kind of forum.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cheeky, isn't she? (And no pun intended!)

Debora

dgbjwc, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is always one.:hilarious:

(apologies Marie, it was stronger than me.:kiss:)

dgbjwc, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  6. sunday silence

well I'll be durned, I dont have any fotos of the bottom. Im sure it was unmarked on the bottom but I didnt even remember that part.

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think your question is way too general for me.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

No problem :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

(raises hand) I resemble that remark.

10. sunday silence

I think that's a fair point. All Im really asking is does this piece look authentic to you? I had it in my hands for about six months and always had my doubts. Cant believe I didnt take any of the bottom. It certain looked impressive. I had a guy from India who really wanted it but we couldnt get the shipping to work and then someone else paid the buy it now price.

Boland and bercrystal like this.
  11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Again I don’t know much but I hope it was still a good price you sold for. Those are really striking and intriguing to me and I would have kept them. Which possibly doesn’t say too much anyway because I have a real problem selling anything I really like (hence the storage problem)

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not sure, still... because the title of this thread mentions "Chinese." Can you explain what you mean by authentic? I probably won't know the answer, but am curious. I don't think it is well painted, for one thing. The globe is not round, and the scepter is not shaped like the ones that are represented in the images here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Russia

So I think it probably was painted by somebody who was not officially hired by the Russian government, whether Imperial or modern. Not sure whether that is what you were asking? Currently the Russian government has a similar coat of arms.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. sunday silence

if anybody is still following this discussion, there is a possibility that these were made by Edme Samson as they do have a number of tea caddys and such that were made for export in Chinese style.

edme-samson-pseudo-chinese-marked_1_5c4c16ec37d656694bd174d4b884952a.jpg antique-samson-et-cie-armorial-tea_1_9df3681eb0e4b6c186285c85bcff8ee3.jpg

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted